AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th March, 2004, 08:33 PM

Question Identify A Power Supply!

Hows it going people,

ok....

Here's the thing,...

My friend gave me a Gold 450W PSU, And i am having trouble Identifing It. I want to know the Manufacture of this thing. What i mean is...Who Made it?. It Has No Name!.

Is there a website that can help you find out about Generic PSUs where you can type in the Model Number And then it can tell you who manufactured it?.

Thanks in Advance!.
Old 18th March, 2004, 09:20 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I'm not aware of any such site I'm afraid. There's a whole bunch of PSUs that have no identifing marks on them, so it can be hard to tell!
Old 18th March, 2004, 09:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

And lot's of gold ones...sigh...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th March, 2004, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In order to be sold in the US, a PSU MUST have UL certification, and the UL mark and registration number must be printed on the unit. It should be possible to track down the owner of the registration. The UL registration number will be next to the UL mark and will start with an 'E'. The same is true of PSUs sold in Canada and bearing the CSA mark and number, which starts with 'LR'. The CE certification for Europe does not require the printing of the registration number (IIRC). However, as a practical matter, I believe that just about every PSU made carries both CE and UL or CSA markings (usually all three and then some).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th March, 2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks Fellez for the Replys.

Im actually having trouble Identifing 2 PSUs!.

Let me tell you what it says on Both PSUs just incase someone here knows what PSUs they are;

PSU 1)
Name - G450W
Model - ST-450WATXP4
Power - 450W
Colour - Gold
Fans - 2
Switch - No

PSU 2)
Name - Mega Power
Model - CTX300WCE
Power - 300W
Colour - Silverish
Fans - 1
Switch - Yes

Can anybody Recognize 'em??, or knows who makes 'em??

Btw gizmo.... How can you find out who the Manufacture is by those Initials eg: CE, UL, CSA. What i mean is how can you track them down?.

Thanks.
Old 19th March, 2004, 03:39 PM

The UL mark should have the registration number underneath - for example, the PSU next to me has a UL registration number of E169319.

If I go to the UL website, and to their UL Certifications Search, I can enter the number.

That leads me back to Hitek Power Corp, and one of the records under that contains details of the PSU. In this case it's a TEK200SE(a) which provides a maximum of 48.5V at 6.3A.
Old 19th March, 2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
The UL mark should have the registration number underneath - for example, the PSU next to me has a UL registration number of E169319.

I live in the U.K. So over here we have the FC mark, So on one of the
PSUs it has a FC Mark and registration number of D711121.

Is there a Website Like the UL one for the FC registration numbers for the U.K.?.

Thanks.
Old 19th March, 2004, 07:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm reasonably certain there is, but I haven't got the foggiest idea where it would be located. The last time I was involved in safety testing was when I was designing PSUs for monitors, and that was 10 years ago. At that time, we worked directly with UL, and used an outside testing house (SEMKO, IIRC) for all of our other certs (TUV, CSA, CE, etc.).
Old 19th March, 2004, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botpck9
I live in the U.K. So over here we have the FC mark, So on one of the PSUs it has a FC Mark and registration number of D711121.
I thought that Europe had the CE mark? As far as I'm aware, the UK uses the CE scheme. None of my UK equipment has an FC mark on it, but it all has the CE mark on it. Half of it has a UL mark though!
Old 19th March, 2004, 09:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Europe does use the CE mark as a safety designation, but some countries insist on their own safety marks as well. For example, Germany has the TUV mark (seems to me like Denmark has their own, also). Even if you have CE certification, you still have to test for TUV (which is actually slightly more stringent, so that makes sense). CE is more stringent than UL (or at least, used to be), which is slightly more stringent than CSA. So any company that plans on international market penetration will generally test to TUV, almost all of which is applicable to CE (I believe the dielectric withstand voltage is slightly higher with CE, but don't recall for sure). Once you have TUV and CE, UL and CSA are basically nothing more than paying the fee and submitting your CE certs.
Old 20th March, 2004, 11:57 AM

Living in the UK, I've got a bunch of UK equipment A large proportion just has the CE mark on it, despite being available for a european audience. Some items do have the TUV however.