AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th January, 2002, 04:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Talking It's that time again!

Time for a new hard drive The last time I got one was in 1998 it was a Maxtor 5.7...It still works it's in my computer now as my 2nd drive.. I have 2 drives a Ibm and a maxtor..The maxtor beeing the louder drive in my case.But they do offer good prices on their drive..But I have a few questions I need to ask...I really have no clue on whats the largest size Hard drive my system can take but sense I'am installing a new mobo soon as soon as I buy the cpu. I decided not to get that 120Gb Maxtor..and just get the 40Gb one..... And another thing..when I got that 5.7Gb maxtor back then I really did not pay any mind to the drive interface i guess you call it...So what would I be looking for today? a ATA/133 drive? and will my system support it? I know the new mobo will not sure about the mobo I have now.

------------------------------------------------
:My System:

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Hitachi Gd-2500 dvd-rom drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Yamaha YST-MS201 speakers
Intel PII450Mhz <-------Server computer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th January, 2002, 05:02 PM
Banned

main concern should be to try and get ATA133. If I remember right 160GB is supposed to be maximum for drives on current setups... but that too will change
Old 16th January, 2002, 05:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to FerrariF50 Send a message via AIM to FerrariF50 Send a message via Yahoo to FerrariF50

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
main concern should be to try and get ATA133. If I remember right 160GB is supposed to be maximum for drives on current setups... but that too will change
Doh thats right I ment 160Gb....geeez thats a hell of alot of space! lol my Ibm is only 15.6Gb...I think theirs only 1.33Gb free space left...

They have a 80Gb that is ATA/133

Might get that instead of the 160Gb...lol a little pricey and alot of space!

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2002, 04:55 PM

Actually, max right now on SCSI drives is 180gb. IDE is still at 160gb.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 18th January, 2002, 09:43 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

The 120GXP's from IBM look nice. You might want to try one of those.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th January, 2002, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
The 120GXP's from IBM look nice. You might want to try one of those.
looking at Newegg.. they had it in a 80Gb and a 120Gb I think...Maxtor drives are louder then Ibm... Don't let anyone say it's not because it is! lol my Ibm drive sounds like a Jet engine starting then it levels off... But it's not loud

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 20th January, 2002, 05:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

is it really worth it to get ata/133 right now tho?

If you're gonna dish out the money, I should think that U160 would be the best bet..
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:13 PM

What the heck is UMA and ATA and whatever the rest are... When I got my Maxtor 5.7Gb I just picked the best one in my range limit...back then i did not care...Now I do when I want to pick out my next hard drive..

Amd 1.1Ghz ThunderBird

128Mb Ram
Windows Xp Pro
16.6 Gig Ibm drive
5.6Gig Maxtor drive
Sony CRX-140E Cd Writer
TDK 52/24/48 Cd Writer
Ibm/Sony G94 Monitor 19"
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:22 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk
is it really worth it to get ata/133 right now tho?

If you're gonna dish out the money, I should think that U160 would be the best bet..
The thing to remember is that there is really no price premium for ATA133 over ATA100. Even if your mb doesn't support it, it's worth it in the long run. First, the drive itself should have a higher maximum throughput, and WHEN you upgrade your mb, it should be able to take advantage of it... BTW, I would be shocked if all mb makers don't switch over (at least a few of the models) to ATA133 by the summer.

Basically ATA100 to ATA133 is FREE...
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:34 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by FerrariF50
What the heck is UMA and ATA and whatever the rest are... When I got my Maxtor 5.7Gb I just picked the best one in my range limit...back then i did not care...Now I do when I want to pick out my next hard drive..
Assuming you've already decided you want IDE, there are 3 things to remember.

1. Size (obviously)
2. RPM (7200/5400)
3. ATA100/ATA133

RPMs or how fast the disk spins, is the key to performance. By spinning faster, you increase the amount of data that can be read per second, and also decrease the time it takes to find the data.

ATA100/ATA133 in generic terms, are specs that the controller go by. ATA100 aka UDMA5, is the standard at the moment. And in theory translates into how much data can go from the hdd through the controller, and on. ATA133 increases that theoretical throughput if both the hdd and controller can handle it.

For this discussion, assume brand X has a hdd that is 7200rpm ATA133. It also sells a very similar model that is 7200rpm ATA100. All things being equal, I would imagine that the ATA133 drive should do at least a little better, even when hooked up to an ATA100 controller. The design is newer and the components in the HDD should have been designed to handle the higher throughput demands of ATA133. (purely conjecture, but that's all I have to work with ATM).

Edit: From your first post. The interfaces are backward compatible. You will run at the lowest common denominator. If you have a MB that can handle ATA66, and a HDD that can do ATA133, you will run at ATA66.

Last edited by SteveI; 20th January, 2002 at 06:38 PM.
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:07 PM

does it take load off your cpu if you use a SCSI controller card for your main hd instead of onboard controllers?

I have a few adaptec U160 cards that I have been using just for cd burners on my fileserv systems, and I may be overlooking their overall usefulness..
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:25 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk
does it take load off your cpu if you use a SCSI controller card for your main hd instead of onboard controllers?

I have a few adaptec U160 cards that I have been using just for cd burners on my fileserv systems, and I may be overlooking their overall usefulness..
Absolutely, but (just for me), I'll stick with IDE. The added cost of SCSI just doesn't work for me. Between the cost of a good scsi controller, and the higher cost of hdd's, I just can't see myself spending the extra $$.

I'm always on a budget, and for what I do, I prefer better speakers, or a faster CPU, or more bells and whistles.
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:33 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good point about ATA-133 being free ATM. Mainboards will support the UDMA Mode 6/ATA-133 standard soon. However, there is a small price premium for the ATA-133 HDD's and you need a ATA-133 Controller card( ~$50, ka-ching) if you want to get the most out of an ATA-133 HDD right now.

To make this more complicated, bugs have been exposed in some Via and Intel chipsets that decrease performance of the ATA-100 HDD's to below what it should be!

U-160 protocol SCSI HDD's cost a lot more than ATA-133 drives do. If you can afford one, buy all means. And a PCI SCSI Host Adaptor certainly takes the load off of a CPU. Dot's da whole idea of SCSI.
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

To make this more complicated, bugs have been exposed in some Via and Intel chipsets that decrease performance of the ATA-100 HDD's to below what it should be!

U-160 protocol SCSI HDD's cost a lot more than ATA-133 drives do. If you can afford one, buy all means. And a PCI SCSI Host Adaptor certainly takes the load off of a CPU. Dot's da whole idea of SCSI.
Which chipsets?

The only thing keepin me from goin all scsi is the drive price.. the cards I have.. does a low/moderate cost LVD drive even exist?
Old 21st January, 2002, 01:54 AM

I just picked up a small (20GB) Maxtor drive the other week. Supposed to be ATA 100 7200 rpm. Get it home, open and install everything and to my surprise.......what had been packaged as an ATA100 was the ATA133 with the fluid drive