AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st April, 2004, 04:44 PM

Question !!!!!!!!!!is my psu got the power!!!!!!!!

Relisys TL970 19.1 TFT
amd3200xp
Kingston Hyperx 1gb 400MHz DDR ECC Registered
3D Blaster 5 FX5950 8x Agp
120gig sata
philips dvdrom
compact disc rewritable drive
450w
plus 4 fans and 1 jet force 7 (cpu cooler)

the thing is that with this new fx5950 8xagp is very high on the power supply and i would like to know if my 450w power supply can take it ok views on this would be a help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2nd April, 2004, 08:42 PM
AOA Staff

Make and model of PSU?
Old 2nd April, 2004, 09:14 PM

q tec psu 450w daul fan gold
Old 2nd April, 2004, 10:19 PM
AOA Staff

My spare PSU is a Q tec and it works fine, I've had it running a setup similar to yours without a problem. But, I think I got lucky, some are built better than others.
Old 3rd April, 2004, 04:50 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

A good rule of thumb for PSU quality is weight. Some cheap PSUs don't have proper cooling or cheap parts but may still be OK. It is hit or miss. You will just have to try and see how it works. Check the voltages under idle and under full load and see how much they vary.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2004, 07:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The only thing that worries me about the weight thing is, how long before the PSU makers start catching on and the cheap guys start putting in an extra pound or so of solder?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd April, 2004, 08:08 AM
Member/Contributer

I had a 550W Q-Tec and it worked great for about 9 months then the fans got noisy and it had to go.
I believe Stigweed had a similar experience but he just changed the fans. I know ET does not rate them at all!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd April, 2004, 11:50 AM
AOA Staff

It's worth paying the extra for a good quality one which should give many years of service.
Old 3rd April, 2004, 11:56 AM
Member/Contributer

It will probably do ok... for a while. I've seen several Q-tec PSUs die.
Old 4th April, 2004, 03:14 PM

I have been using My Q-tec 550 for well over a year and never had a problem with it. It performs like any Eneramax or other top PSU’s, it has very stable voltage rails. My friends also use the same supply, and only one of the many was a bad supply. I suppose if you buy 1 and its bad then you will never trust a product from the same company again. But 1 bad PSU out of 8 is pretty good. Remember you can buy a top CPU and it may not overclock as well as another or you could get some expensive 3200LL Corsair Ram, yet it might not go much beyond its 200bus speed.

At the end of the day there is always a risk especially with hardware, it may be rubbish but for about £20 I don’t think you can go much wrong.
2GB Corsair Dominator
2 x 500GB Hitachi
Creative LAbs X-FI
Logitech Z-5500
Antec P182 Special Edition
Old 16th April, 2004, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

i use a antec true control it is great i don't think i can get a more powerful one 1 only 1 cpu i hope i don't out grow it like i did with my old 400watt just cool 1
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control