AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th April, 2004, 09:37 PM
AOA Staff

SATA drive goosed?

My mate has only just built a new system from new components.

It was working fine for a week. He was copying a load of files from CD-ROM on to the 160gb SATA drive when the machine hung.

It wouldn't reboot XP 64-bit, so he tried to reinstall the OS. When trying to delete the partition during xp install, it wouldn't have it. Message like 'windows cannot access the drive'.

I just tried the drive in my machine. It is recognised during the SATA controller boot-up. But, after installing SATA drivers on my machine there was no sign of the drive in explorer. I have no way of testing that SATA is working on my machine because I don't have a known good drive to verify with.

After giving up, the SATA drive felt hot to the touch after 40 mins of run time. My IDE drive was barely warm. Although the SATA drive was sitting on a piece of cardboard whilst running. Still I can't see why it would be so hot to the touch.

Sounds like a duff drive to me. Anyone had similar problems with a new WD SATA drive?

Also, I noticed that the drive data connector seems loose - the cable will wiggle easily on the drives edge connector. Is that normal?
Old 14th April, 2004, 10:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

How hot the drive gets depends on a lot of things, like how fast it is spinning.

Does the SATA controller give you any options? For example, can you go into the SATA controller and do a low level format on the drive or anything like that?

If you boot to a DOS floppy, does the drive appear visible to the DOS utilities? (FDISK, FORMAT, ETC.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April, 2004, 11:07 PM
AOA Staff

There's no formatting tools in the SATA bios menu, just array config stuff.

I don't think booting a DOS disk would help unless there's a SATA DOS driver available.

The drive should be spinning at the same speed as my regular IDE which wasn't hot. It's not a raptor drive.
Old 14th April, 2004, 11:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If the SATA BIOS allows you to boot the drive, then it MUST be visible to DOS. It simply cannot work any other way.

I'm tending to think the drive is toast, also.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th April, 2004, 11:37 PM
AOA Staff

The drive ID is listed in the SATA bios, I think this indicates that the PCB on the drive is healthy. But the heat suggests the mechanical side of things have failed.

I hope it is just a duff drive and that the same thing won't happen when a new drive is fitted. I have no prior experience of SATA drives, so wasn't totally sure about it.