AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2004, 01:46 AM

DVI-I /DVI-D, what's the diff?

Hello All, purchased a new monitor (Dell 2001PF)and it came w/ a DVI-D cable, my card (5900se) has an DVI-I connection. My problen is w/ DVI-D i can't see any bios info. would switching to the DVI-I type enable me to see my bios info? I am using the vga cable now and text is not as sharp, so I'd like to get back on the DVI train, but want to access my bios info.
Old 19th April, 2004, 02:13 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

There's three DVI 'standards'. However, you're only likely to see two.
  • DVI-D provides digital only DVI signals. There are no analog signals present with DVI-D.
  • DVI-I provides both digital DVI and analog RGB signals. This means you can connect either an analog RGB monitor, or a digital DVI capable monitor.
  • DVI-A (the one you won't see) provides only analog RGB signals (just like a VGA connector).

If your monitor shipped with a DVI-D cable, then it's likely that the monitor only supports digital on the DVI connector. The graphics card should really provide an output on the digital DVI lines when you're in the BIOS. It really sounds like it's an issue with the graphics card BIOS.

On the other hand, if you don't need to go into the BIOS often, then this might be less of an issue.

Here's a compatibility chart between cables and connectors that I knocked up:
Attached Thumbnails
DVI-I /DVI-D, what's the diff?-dvi-compatability.gif  
Old 20th April, 2004, 03:30 AM

Aeden, Thx for clearing that up, what would be the best course of action to remedy this situation?
Old 20th April, 2004, 08:42 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If the DVI connector on your monitor only accepts digital DVI, then you're stuck with digital DVI on that front.

Just a stray thought - Does your card have both DVI and VGA connectors? I know that my card will default to the VGA connector if something is connected to it even if the something is not turned on.

If the graphics card simply refuses to display BIOS info on the DVI connector, then you might be able to find out from the manufacturer of the graphics card if there's a fix available. Otherwise you're a bit stuck with the VGA cable for when you want to access the BIOS.