AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2002, 02:25 PM

Seagate disk performance boosting

I need a proggie that would boost the performance of my IDE Seagate barracuda IV 60GB disk. Any ideas where to find this kind of software?
Old 20th January, 2002, 08:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'd suggest a visit to: http://www.seagate.com/techsuppt/ant...s/1seagate.zip . Be careful when using the HDD manufacturer's files! Sometimes Windows's own default IDE drivers are better.
Old 21st January, 2002, 01:07 PM

I havent found anything that is performance related on the Seagates site. That is why Im asking you guys.
I would prefer, if the program would work in windows enviroment.
Old 21st January, 2002, 10:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

What kind of results are you seeing after running HDTach 2.61?
If average sustained transfer is ~34-36 Mb/s, and Burst speed is 78-80 Mb/s, I doubt that you can improve the results.

It's possible that the HDD isn't the culprit, btw.
Old 21st January, 2002, 11:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

hard drives pretty much have a physical limit, and they can only be tweaked so much.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:32 PM

I cant run HD tach, because Im running WInXP and dont wanna register it. I tried Sandra and I got 24000 points with an NTFS partition. I tried it on a FAT32 partition, I got 23800 points.

But one week before I got 28000 points, that looks weird. I thought that I got worse results because my drive was fragmented and I ran Disk Defrag, but still 24000.

This Seagate is very good, except for the seek time. It is 9.5ms. I know that disk drive performance mostly depends on the drive itself, but some things can still be adjusted. Why have something at a normal speed, if you can have it faster?
Old 22nd January, 2002, 07:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Well, you're using Sandra. That's enough to explain why the results don't really mean very much. (: Disk benchmarks shouldn't be done on a file system, unless you're more interested in your filesystem performance than your hard disk performance.

As you're using XP, the system can do disk access at any point, which means any benchmark may be completely inaccurate.

AidanII
Old 23rd January, 2002, 02:06 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I guess that all BM progs have their shortcomings. I like Sandra a lot, but its HDD tests are useless.

I seriously doubt that the 9.5 ms seek time can be improved. I have a 40 Gb Seagate waiting to be installed. I just couldn't buy another IBM HDD after my 75GXP died. I'll miss the 8.7 ms seek time of the IBumMer.