AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th September, 2001, 12:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Master/Slave settings......CD Drives

I'm running an LG 52* CD-ROM drive, and a Memorex 12*10*32 CD-RW drive. Which way round should they be connected?

Currently, the CD burner is set as master........

Also, I'm running my CD drives on the primary channel, and the HDD (20 gig Seagate) on the secondary. Would this impact the performance of the drives at all?
Old 27th September, 2001, 02:58 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference which of the CDs is master, but in practice there's interactions between the master and the slave.

The answer is likely to be suck-it-and-see, if it makes any difference at all.

The normal convention is to put the hard disks on the primary channel, and other devices on the secondary channel. This is a bit of a hang over from the older motherboards, where the primary channel would be localbus, and the secondary channel was just ISA.

Áedán

P.S. Let us know if makes any difference at all!
Old 28th September, 2001, 01:05 AM

The ideal method to avoid the dreaded "Buffer Underun" is as follows;
Primary IDE port - Hard Drive as master, CD Drive as slave
Secondary IDE port - CD-RW set as master.

I have tried having the CD and CD-RW on the same IDE port. You end up with more problems than with the aforementioned method. Both systems are set up this way and I haven't made a "coaster" in 6 months.
Old 1st October, 2001, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Da Whip
I have tried having the CD and CD-RW on the same IDE port. You end up with more problems than with the aforementioned method.
I'd have to disagree. I've had my CD-RW and CD-ROM on the same IDE channel, and have never had any real problem with buffer underrun. I have my HDD and LS-120 on IDE1 as master and slave respectively, and my CD-ROM and CD-RW on IDE2 as master and slave respectively. I do deal with some buffer issues, but I have burnproof on my new CD-RW, so that helps, but I upgraded to a faster CD-RW, but still have my slow 32X CD-ROM, that I'm thinking of upgrading. But as for IDE channel setups, I don't think it really matters at all. At least, that's been my experience.
Old 7th June, 2005, 05:47 PM

My reader and writer are on the same chan. and I have not had a problem yet.
Old 7th June, 2005, 06:08 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Good news is always welcome, thanks!
Old 7th June, 2005, 06:11 PM
Member/Contributer

I've done dvd to dvd on the same channel, while it's true that udma doesn't support full duplex transfers, theres plenty of bandiwidth on the ide channel to cope, and the buffer underun protection on most drives stops it being a problem

I don't think the slave/master setting will have any noticable differance, for the sake of simplicity just set which ever you want to be listed first in windows as master, though even tht can be altered

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th June, 2005, 06:13 PM

Just glad I dont have to worry about it to much with SATA HDD instead
Old 19th June, 2005, 03:50 PM

Hard drives should be IDE channel 0 and optical drives IDE channel 1.Preferably the writer as the primary and the reader as secondary.I jump all my drives as cable select and never have a problem with underruns.In device manager select IDE ATA /atapi controllers and make sure both primary and secondary channels are set to DMA if available under advanced settings.The secondary usually defaults to PIO mode.
Intel 82875P Chipset
P4 478 3.0EGHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 HTT
2GB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2 DDR 400 RAM
ATI Radeon X800XL AGP 8X 256mb
2x Samsung SP0812C SATA RAID 0 4K cluste
Toshiba TS-H92A CD-RW/DVD
Toshiba TS-H552B CD/DVDW
Viewsonic VA912b DVI/LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Sound
Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
Windows XP Pro SP3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th June, 2005, 04:01 PM

I really fail to see how you choose to organise your drives is going to have anything to do with coasters. The only reason I ever get coasters ie because of software issues, faults with the drive itself or faults with me.
Maybe I'm missing something, can you fill me in, explain more? I'm no expert, just wondering how that could cause coasters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2000me
Skinny people are not petite in every aspect of the body, let me tell you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
I was searching for a synonym for testicles that rhymed with hats

[/FONT]