AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th May, 2004, 05:47 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Hard drives

eh up.

I am considering upgrading my recently upgraded PC. Just some new hard drives... probably a cheeky S-ATA drive or 2... I'm just wondering what people reckon are the best manufacturers.... and where to get best prices (of course). I have never really had any problems with hard disks... touch wood.......

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th May, 2004, 09:58 AM

I've never had any problems with Maxtor, a good all round drive....

I have a Maxtor 9GB IDE (about 5 yrs old and still going strong), a Maxtor 80GB IDE and a Maxtor 120GB SATA.

For prices, I suggest going to a price comparison website, this should give you the cheapest there is. IF you are based in UK, I recommed ebuyer.
Old 23rd May, 2004, 04:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate are all good brands. You will find praise and horor stories for all three brands. If you were in the US I would tell you to check pricegrabber.com .

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd May, 2004, 04:35 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I've never had anything but problems with the Seagate Medalist drives. The Barracudas and Cheetahs, though, are solid gold.
Old 8th June, 2004, 02:59 PM

is it possible to use old IDE drives with SATA in place? so i can do a some more cheeky copying? is it just crazy talk?

AOA Team fah

Old 8th June, 2004, 03:14 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
is it possible to use old IDE drives with SATA in place? so i can do a some more cheeky copying? is it just crazy talk?
Yes, with most drives, and most adaptors. Some adaptors are only officially compatible with ATA100/ATA133. This things usually run $20-30, so it's not a great way to get value.
Old 8th June, 2004, 05:12 PM

aye, its just to copy some files over, then i'll probably ditch the IDE...really need to get round to ordering some up though!

man im hungry, looking forward to last break to get some pizza or some indian carry out... cant decide which, problems, problems

AOA Team fah

Old 11th June, 2004, 06:20 AM

I have a sati and it works well. really hot cable. it is so thin but you have to be careful cuz they unplug rather easlily. And i like seagate. I dont knoow why but i like them but a good deal on a maxtor could sway me - they dot have as nice an appearance.
Old 11th June, 2004, 09:39 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerium
it is so thin but you have to be careful cuz they unplug rather easlily.
This is the thing that really annoys me about SATA - the connectors are not exactly the best for staying connected! That's rather an important thing when you're talking hard disks. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?
Old 11th June, 2004, 02:49 PM

thats what i was thinking. I opend my case to clean it and take a look at the messy cables when i accidently bumped it and ended up scaring myself.
Old 11th June, 2004, 03:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?
probably some silly reason about patents or backwards compatability.
Why not try and patent the idea yourself
Old 11th June, 2004, 04:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
This is the thing that really annoys me about SATA - the connectors are not exactly the best for staying connected! That's rather an important thing when you're talking hard disks. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?
Because it was designed by a committee, not by people who actually try to use stuff.
Old 11th June, 2004, 09:03 PM

all hail the committee!

hail the committee
hail the commit......

ok i'll get me coat.....

AOA Team fah