AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May, 2004, 01:31 AM

CD drive not reading blank CDs

I was wondering if anyone could lend some advice on how to fix this problem. My CD-R drive is working fine when it comes to CDs with data on them, but it is not reading blank CDs. This is making it so that I can't copy things to CDs, since it doesn't recognize that anything is in there.

As far as I can tell, this problem first sprang up about two weeks ago after I switched cases (and had to unconnect and reconnect a lot of things). I didn't attempt to burn anything for about a week after the case change -- and so that's probably why I didn't immediately recognize the problem as a symptom of a bad connection or something. But I don't really see how that could be happening.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is the reader dirty, perhaps?

gratznic
Old 27th May, 2004, 03:27 AM

If there is no problem reading CDs that have been burned to, the problem may be in your CD Recording software. What OS are you using? What CD burning software?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2004, 05:43 PM

No, there's no problem reading CDs that have been burned into.

I guess there could be a problem with my CD burning software -- but even if I look at the D: in windows explorer there is still nothing being read when I put a blank cd in.

OS is XP.

I was using win98 before this -- until about five months ago -- and when I upgraded the burning software I had been using, Adaptec's Easy CD creator, stopped working...since my version is not supported in XP. I unistalled it, yet everytime on start up I get a message saying that I have some software not working, and it wants me to go to the Roxio website and get the latest driver, or else some programs might be unstable. Problem is there is not driver on Roxio, since they don't support it.

I think I'm going to try and do a more thorough job getting all the easy cd stuff off my computer.

So, that message could be suspect, but I still, even without using a burning program, have problems with the blank CDs.

When I do burn I either use the windows media player burning function, or EAC (not that often). I need to get something better.
Old 27th May, 2004, 06:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Definitely sounds like it is sw related... How much trouble would a reformat be for you?
Old 27th May, 2004, 09:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tlemaste

Sounds like you need updated drivers. Take a look at CDR-Info and they might have what you're looking for. That's where I turn to when I can't find what I need on this forum.
Phenom II - X4 w/stock hs/f
Rosewill Gamers Case
2x - OCZ Flex-ex 2Gb 1200 DDR2
2x - OCZ 1Gb 800 DDR2
Pioneer 22x dvd burner
2x - WD 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
WD 600GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 340GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 300GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD external 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
evga NVidia GTX 460 SE
on-board Gbe Lan
Samsung SyncMaster SA300
ACER AK2016W
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Win 7 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th May, 2004, 09:49 PM

Thank you, I'll check the drivers once I get home. It's annoying how these things seem to just spontaneously fizzle out (well, I'm sure there's more to it than that).

I hope I don't have to reformat.
Old 2nd June, 2004, 07:01 PM

For the record, I thought I would relay how I resolved the issue described above. It ended up being pretty simple -- although I don't know how many other people will have similar problems, but just in case, I hope this helps.

First I got rid of the annoying "CD Recording software will cause Windows to become emotionally unstable" message that appears on start-up because of leftover Roxio software. My version of Easy CD Creator was not updatable when I upgraded to XP, and even after uninstalling the program there were still some leftover components. I followed this Microsoft support page, and that resolved it.

Next, rather than attempting numerous trial and errors with my LG CD-RW CED-8120B cd drive by installing different drivers (none of which seemed like they had a chance of resolving the issue) I got a copy of Nero 6, which comes with a bunch of drivers, and that fixed everything!

I can burn with Nero now, and I can also burn with the XP burner and with EAC. The Nero drivers found and resolved the problem with no fuss.
Old 2nd June, 2004, 07:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Thanks for the update, gratznic. I'm sure this information will come in useful for someone else.
Old 9th June, 2004, 10:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

well i was just gonna suggest get the latest nero 6, might set you back a bit, but not too much. but you already did