AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2004, 08:46 PM

problem with my laptop

i recently took my laptop apart, everything from the lcd to the montherboard.
now, after i putted it back together, and turned it on, nothing was on the screen. so i tried to take another monitor and connected to the back and used the monitor as an external one, however, still no screen.

does anyone have any clue what is going on?

also, i am very sure that i plugged everything back to the way they were before. the only things that i did not position back are the 3 little o ring type of wire (i think they are just for grounding purposes)

i also tried to take the motherboard out and putting it on a cardboard because i thought maybe there is some kind of static, but still not luck.

someone please me. thank you.
Old 29th May, 2004, 09:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Is there any way to clear the CMOS on your laptop, and have you tried that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2004, 12:05 AM

i did try to take the little battery out on the motherboard but nothing chaged.
any other suggestions?? please help....
Old 30th May, 2004, 12:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Try to take it apart and double check all of the cables again. Those ribbon connectors can be tricky.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th May, 2004, 02:16 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

does the system "sound" like it boots?
do the lights flash as normal?
sounds like a dlp inverter if that is the case.
what type of lp is it?
Old 30th May, 2004, 03:26 AM

i have checked the cables over and over again and i dont see anything wrong with them. there are only about 6 connects and they can all only get into the mb in one direction so i am positive that i did not plug them back in incorrectly.

um...to be honest with you, i have no idea if the system sounds like its booting or not, here is what happens:

once i power it on, the cpu fan runs and so does the video card fan. the HD sounds like its running as well. the cdrom drive repeatedly make this noise, which does not usually happen during regular boot up (the cdrom sound sounds like its doing the same thing over and over again) other than that, there is no display (i dont think its a display problem because i dont think the system is load at all)

btw cadavece, what do you mean by dlp inverter?
Old 30th May, 2004, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Try to take it apart and double check all of the cables again. Those ribbon connectors can be tricky.
BTW, it is apart now. everything is lying on a piece of cardboard.
Old 30th May, 2004, 03:38 AM

from the sounds of thing u are getting power and the system is starting up...ytr something.....let it power up connected to the standard display....leave it for 5 minutes....
then, looking real close, and i mean 1/4 inch from the screen...see if you can see anything...try moving your mouse....
the secondary disply will not enable if you do not select it and the lcd is working...or the system believes it's working.
the dlp inverter is what gives the lcd display it's "light". they are not supposed to last longer than a few years, and have been my most common latop repair. I usually watch the start-up... and when there are symptoms such as yours, i can usually barely make out the windows logon... with the brightness fully adjusted.
dlp inverters are hard to come by for most major oem laptops. they also cannot be bought seperately.
the last one i fixed....the guy had a quote for 1000 american for the repair...400 just to send it away. and then waiting for 6 weeks. no good for my clients who work overseas and only have thier pc's for entertainment(rig workers and such)
15 minutes after he had walked in the door i had the laptop looking like new....including a good cleaning.
cost 250 for the parts..sold in groups of five.
you still ahven't told us what type of laptop it is!
Old 30th May, 2004, 03:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Did you take it apart with the battery still in it?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 30th May, 2004, 06:08 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Sounds like your system is stuck in an endless 'reset' loop (hence the repeating noise from the CD). That is usually caused by a blown BIOS flash, in my experience.
Old 30th May, 2004, 06:38 AM

gizmo - that sounds more like my problem. does anyone how to fix the endless restart loop issue?

rob - no i did not take it apart with the battery in the laptop. i actually never used the battery and the laptop always plugs in.

cadaveca - the laptop is a no brand laptop and was purchased in japan. i think the company just brought parts from other oem and put together their own laptop. i will try your method now - power it up for 5 minutes.

thanks for everything so far everyone. poor laptop
Old 30th May, 2004, 07:06 AM

ok, after turning the unit on for about 5 minutes, nothing happened and i did not get any signal from the lcd.
i always noticed the cdrom light kept on blinking every once in awhile right around when it makes the cdrom loading noise. i guess what i am trying to say is that - it does sounds like its keep on restarting over and over again non-stop.

do we know the cause and remedy to this??
Old 30th May, 2004, 08:42 AM

it could be failing to initialize the drive and this causing the boot to hang...

maybe...
Old 30th May, 2004, 05:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

When I upgraded the CPU (K6-2 475 to a K6-2+ 450 @475) in my laptop, it wouldn't boot at first. It took me a while to realize that I hadn't gotten the CPU in the socket correctly. It doesn't have a lockdown lever, it has to be forced in from the side.

You might also get this from memory that isn't properly seated in the slot.
Old 6th June, 2004, 11:35 PM

can someone please give me more suggestions? the laptop is still not booting......
Old 7th June, 2004, 01:40 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Do you have a cd in the drive? Hold down the insert key while powering up.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 7th June, 2004, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Do you have a cd in the drive? Hold down the insert key while powering up.
Rob
no luck.
i really feel like it just keeps on restarting on someone states above. is there a fix to this problem?
Old 7th June, 2004, 03:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

may seem a silly question, did you Earth yourself to the laptop first? Whenever i am doing something inside my computers i always hold onto the PSU casing for about 10 - 15 seconds before i touch anything inside, as many components are electrostatic-sensitive.
Old 7th June, 2004, 04:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tlemaste

Most, if not all laptops have an interlock switch/button somewhere on them that suspends the laptop when the top is closed (except for when in docking stations, or which some multimedia programs, etc.). When you took your's apart did the switch go bad? You've probably already checked that, but anything is worth a try.....
Phenom II - X4 w/stock hs/f
Rosewill Gamers Case
2x - OCZ Flex-ex 2Gb 1200 DDR2
2x - OCZ 1Gb 800 DDR2
Pioneer 22x dvd burner
2x - WD 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
WD 600GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 340GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 300GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD external 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
evga NVidia GTX 460 SE
on-board Gbe Lan
Samsung SyncMaster SA300
ACER AK2016W
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Win 7 Pro
Old 13th June, 2004, 06:22 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgg
no luck.
i really feel like it just keeps on restarting on someone states above. is there a fix to this problem?
Mines doing the SAME THING, after I dropped it last week. I had it on top of a copier getting ready to do some updating. The lid came down and pushed my laptop off the machine. (kinda a heavy lid) You might just wanna try and reinstall the OS as I'm going to do mine tomorrow. I'll let ya know if that works.
Rob
AOA Team fah