AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th June, 2004, 02:10 AM

Micro ATX power

I'm upgrading an old Tiny pc for a relative, which currently has a micro atx mobo and psu inside it, cpu is a 7xx mhz pentium 3. I was going to install a more up to date mobo and something like an AMD XP2400 cpu in there but the PSU in this case is the worry. I think its only 145watts ! (the psu label says Delta Electronics DPS 145PB) .. would i need to replace this psu ? or are the power requirements for microatx much lower anyway ?
The highest micro atx psu i've seen is 230watts ..
Old 28th June, 2004, 02:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

230w should be fine. I had instability problems with a 145w mATX PSU and a 1GHz Duron and a GeForce 2 mx400. Problems cleared up with a larger PSU

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th June, 2004, 02:57 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

145w is pushing it a bit, but there's only one way to find out.
I have an 8rgmi, and it is a powerhouse little overclocking mobo... the new version, the 8rgm3i, available at newegg sounds even better. I use a 200w PSU on mine, with a 1700+ overclocked to 2.08ghz and it is stable. Mileage may vary... Having onboard everything saves quite a bit on power. good luck with it.
Old 30th June, 2004, 01:46 PM

i just checked out the manual pdf for the epox 8rgmi and it says u need a 250w psu minimum !! .. and recommends a 300w. I havent been able to source a psu higher than 230w @ micro atx size (a chieftec mATX psu) ! .. how is it you are using a 200w !? (overclocked at that)
i'm not sure i can just chance it and buy the gear and pray it works
Old 30th June, 2004, 02:33 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackOverflow
i just checked out the manual pdf for the epox 8rgmi and it says u need a 250w psu minimum !! .. and recommends a 300w. I havent been able to source a psu higher than 230w @ micro atx size (a chieftec mATX psu) ! .. how is it you are using a 200w !? (overclocked at that)
i'm not sure i can just chance it and buy the gear and pray it works
I can't tell you how it works... only that it does. The mATX PSU is actually a cheapo generic too. With cool weather, the CPU was running 2.16ghz @ 1.75v. Heat is a problem in the dinky case, so with the warm weather, I took the side panel off, and it is now running 2.08ghz @ 1.65v. The system currently has a single stick of 512 DDR, 1 16x DVDROM, 1 PCI TV tuner, 1 USB powered wireless G nic, and a 60gig 7200 rpm HDD. The PSU runs hot, so i know it is being pretty stressed. I've been running it this way for about 5 months now. It folds 24/7 and hasn't had any stability problems... I've rebooted maybe 3 times in the last 3 months, and it was only to install software. Will the system burn out?? I have know idea, but so far so good.

BTW, I recall when I was running the CPU @ 1.75v, the voltage lines were ok(within 3-4%). At 1.65v, everything is within 1-2%.
Old 21st July, 2004, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=StackOverflow]i just checked out the manual pdf for the epox 8rgmi and it says u need a 250w psu minimum !! .. and recommends a 300w. I havent been able to source a psu higher than 230w @ micro atx size (a chieftec mATX psu) ! .. how is it you are using a 200w !? (overclocked at that)
i'm not sure i can just chance it and buy the gear and pray it works [/QUOTE
i have 2 micro axt systems and 1 full axt system the power suplies are all the same size!!
Old 21st July, 2004, 01:40 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I have seen some mATX sized PSUs that are supposedly around the 300W mark. 'A Power' and 'Arrow' appear to manufacturer higher powered mATX PSUs. Enermax appear to do a 230W and a 270W PSU too.

A number of the Shuttle systems ship with a 200W PSU. Just make sure that the PSU is well matched to the load on the various voltages!
Old 24th July, 2004, 07:51 PM

just a quick follow up on this - I ended up getting a 250 watt psu (seasonic) with an epox 8kmm3i mobo and the pc has been working great. No issues at all.