AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2004, 03:08 AM

Refrigeration cooling

has anyone heard or seen a link to purchase or learn how to make a refigeration cooler for a cpu and hardware? feel free to flame all you want
Nvidia 6600 PCIE
BFG Tech NF4 Ultra Mobo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2004, 03:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Tell me what you are interested in knowing?

First off, do you have a basic understanding of refrigeration?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th July, 2004, 04:15 AM

yes sort of. i also found this link but i think it would be cheaper to make one cause i can come across some fridges that are laying around lohttp://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/730l
oh yeah -45 degrees is what made me interested lol
Nvidia 6600 PCIE
BFG Tech NF4 Ultra Mobo
Old 7th July, 2004, 04:26 AM
Member/Contributer

You will find a pretty good idea of what you are looking at HERE

There are a lot of things to concider in this. The one I always cringe at is condensation.

Now I have to say 2 things as a Staff member.....

1) Please remove the pic from your sig. and take a moment to read over the FORUM RULES . It is clearly asked that you not post pics in your sig.

2) You would have probably been better off if you had posted this in the "Cooling & Temperature Monitoring" topic.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for here. We have a lot of real smart people who have developed a lot of cool Cooling projects. SJ news (found on the Front Page ) links to some way sick setups from time to time.
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Southern Man; 7th July, 2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 7th July, 2004, 04:38 AM

sorry
Nvidia 6600 PCIE
BFG Tech NF4 Ultra Mobo
Old 7th July, 2004, 05:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyclonb
sorry
Don't sweat it ...... Thank you for dealing with it so fast.

I forgot one other thing as a Staff Member.....

Welcome to the forums.....
----------------------------------------------

Old 7th July, 2004, 06:47 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyclonb
yes sort of. i also found this link but i think it would be cheaper to make one cause i can come across some fridges that are laying around lohttp://www.thecoolingshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/730l
oh yeah -45 degrees is what made me interested lol
A basic understanding of how refrigeration works is crucial. www.refrigerationbasics.com has a real good beginner's tutorial on this. After that, you can go to www.phase-change.com. There are a lot of people over there steeped in the lore of refrigeration systems in general and cooling PCs in particular. One guy that hangs out there (or used to) is named Gary. There is also a guy on there who sells custom cpu blocks for phase-change cooling systems. Both of them really know their stuff.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be your cpu block, and working out the size and length of capillary tube to use for optimal performance, unless you use a TEV instead. Beyond that, you'll need to get a suitable condensor and compressor (note, most fridge condensors are NOT suitable; they aren't designed for the heat load). Also, most fridge compressors are in the 500-700 BTU range, meaning that you may not be able to hit the -45C temps that you are looking for without a LOT of tweaking.

Last edited by Gizmo; 7th July, 2004 at 06:56 PM.