AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th July, 2004, 06:37 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Cool Gigabyte @ Fragapolooza

Over this weekend, Edmonton plays host to Canada's larget LAN PArty...Fragapolooza. Average attendance is about 5000....a lan party with 5000 people....
Anyway, there was alot of buzz, but very little manufacturer showings. Athough Coolermaster, DFI and Bioware were listed as sponsors, they didn't even have a booth set up. Nvidia, however, had a small corner with a little something called SLi....more to come on that later. As well, they featured the 5950 or 5900 ultra...the card second only to the 6800 in Nvidia's line-up, in all of the competition pc's. The machines themselves featured P4EE, 1GB Corsair DDR400 RAM, and of course, the nvid cards. sweet running machines....they make Painkiller look like a walk in the park.
The most important thing, to me, was the little table with a meager display....gigabyte...and thier new pci-x board and 5900ultra. Oh, and the gigabyte rep from Japan.
All you AMD fans beware....no pci-x for you.
There is currently no chipsets that support pci-x for any AMD...and the athlon is history. I did get expected release dates...and boy... did I ever want to get my hands on dude's laptop to see the pictures of the gigabyte 6800....
What I WAS told, was that we can look for support for the 64bit AMD in late september...but as it is now it is still buggy.
18-month plan to include pci-x/agp ports on mainboards...and then we can say bye bye to agp. Not good id the news about pci-x card being slower in the graphic department.
AND..ah yes...the gigabyte 6800. Those of you that have been following the hype have seen the pics of the reference card and it's 2-pci-slot-eating size. I actually got to see one running in a machine.. and although i use Tt Smart fan 2's caranked to the max... THAT card is loud. NO WORRIES i was told...gigabytes plans deviate far from the reference design...and paln to sport a cooler that is half the size of the reference cooler...including a heatpipe and ramsinks.
oh, by the way...you'll need 2 12 volt connections if you plan on having a 6800..and i'll let the cat out of the bag...480W minimum recommended powersupply...by NVidia...so no simple upgrades here. Seems like ATI's lower power unit will have some affect on the upgrade market. As well, we may see pci-x versions with 1 12- and 1 5-volt connection...

ATI was nowhere to be seen. Very disappointing seeing how they are canadian, and this is canada's largest lanparty. Nvidia has one up on them there.
Tomorrow i'll update on Nvidia's SLi....and more products from gigabyte.