AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th July, 2004, 09:56 PM

When is this stuff getting released!

Hi

Pretty soon im selling some of the main parts of my pc and need to upgrade the following:

Graphics card
Memory
CPU
Motherboard

Im looking at the next gen gfx cards and to be honest do have ATI/Nvidia preference so whichever appears to be the best then I'll probably go for that.

CPU I want a 939 a64 so will more than likely go for 3500.

The problems ive got is when certain things are released. Has anyone any idea when the PCI-e high end graphics cards are likely to be released and then more importantly a 939 motherboard that is going to support it. Ive been told by one online retailer than the NF3 939 boards wont support PCI-e and its going to be released with the NF4 boards instead.

So....Can anyone give me some info when I can get my hands on PCI-e gfx cards and a64 boards?

Thanks in advance
Ash
Old 21st July, 2004, 12:23 AM
AOA Staff

There's 939 boards here, none with PCI express though:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...boards_68.html

The top ATI boards have a 520Mhz+ clock speed, so faster than nVidia. The XFX nVidia cards will be 450Mhz. None of these two have been fully released in the UK yet, but it won't be long.

If you're going to wait a few months or more for PCIe, then you might want to go for the nVidia's which can be paired up. I'm not sure if this will be possible on ATI cards in the near future.

There are server mobos available now which have two PCIe slots.
Old 21st July, 2004, 12:29 AM
AOA Staff

Dual PCIe board from SuperMicro:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...5/X6DA8-G2.cfm

But, it's dual Xeon not A64. There's P4 boards ther as well, with dual PCIe.
Old 21st July, 2004, 08:31 AM

cheers mate, Ive emailed nvidia to ask the situation on pci-e nforce boards so hopefully I'll know more then.

do you think its worth going for the new stuff right now, im a bit worried about spending a fortune on new stuff only for it to be left behind almost straight away. ive currently got:

xp2500
1gig 3200 kingmax
epox 8rda3+
9800 pro

the epox board wont work with that ram at 200fsb though, has to be set to 166 and is unstable. my board doesnt like 512meg sticks for some reason, tried a few makes.
Old 21st July, 2004, 02:57 PM
AOA Staff

There's a bit of news on nForce 4 here:
http://the-inquirer.net/?article=17058
Old 22nd July, 2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I'm a bit worried about spending a fortune on new stuff only for it to be left behind almost straight away
That will happen sooner than you think whatever you buy.

Technology advances.
Industry needs to make us want this year's model to stay in business.

I learned some time ago that once I had a new system it was best to stop looking at the ads.
Old 22nd July, 2004, 01:56 PM

Yeah. I'm on a KT333 board with an OC'd XP1800, 256MB PC2700 and a Radeon 9700 Pro 256MB.

There's no way I'm upgrading any time soon - if I stick to AGP, I lose the ability to upgrade the graphics. If I go for PCIe, I get immature technology with a graphics card which doesn't have native PCIe support (I'm pretty sure Nvidia's cards just have a bolt-on interface from agp to pcie, ati had been accused of the same thing by nvidia but denied it). So I'm definitely going to wait until all this new stuff is established.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modulus
That will happen sooner than you think whatever you buy.
not in this case though, pci-e is here to stay, agp apparently isnt.

i need to upgrade soon, its just choosing what. i tend to upgrade once every 1/2 years so that isnt the problem. i just dont want to get an agp card and an agp based 939 board for it to get obliterated within 6 months

im probably going to wait until the nforce3 939 boards are out and miss out on pci-e this time round. then maybe consider it when nforce4 is out. dual geforce hehe. nice....