AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th August, 2004, 12:13 AM

Recommended Hardware?

I'm going to be getting a new computer soon, but i want to be sure that i don't buy one that goes out of date anytime soon. What specs should i be looking for for something like this? I want to use my PC for watching movies, playing games, and Graphic Design. The main problem i get with my current computer is that it's so unbelievably slow (Intel Celeron 600MHz, 512MB SDRAM, Windows XP Pro ), so i don't want to make that same painful mistake with computers again. One major problem with this though is that i live in England, so i have to pay English prices, and buy from England. What hardware do you recommend for me?

Also, how does Windows Server 2003 run as a Desktop OS? I was thinking of using it on my old computer since we use it mainly for Word Processing and all that stuff.
Old 15th August, 2004, 02:59 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

it should be much cheaper to build one yourself. then you can be sure of exactly what goes into it.

Quote:
What hardware do you recommend for me?
it depends how fast you want to go, and how much you're willing to spend.
Old 15th August, 2004, 03:09 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, Ender! All PC gear goes obsolete. Staying at the bleeding edge costs a hell of a lot of money. Waiting six months to buy what is hot right now is a good policy--with the added benefit of you are not being a crash test dummy while you wait for the manufacturer to fix the faults like they should have before marketing the piece of gear that is trying your patience.

You might start with the processor that you want, err, can afford. This leads next to a good mainboard for it. Call me old fashioned for buying somewhat expensive motherboards. Every cheap mobo I've bought other than ECS K7S5A's went down the garbage chute.

Count on needing at least a 400W Power Supply Unit. Don't Cheap Charlie this! Good quality PSU's aren't cheap--but the idea of running a box with the Power Supply that comes with a cheap ATX case is beneath contempt.

Hopefully, this will get you started.
Old 15th August, 2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
it should be much cheaper to build one yourself. then you can be sure of exactly what goes into it.
Sadly, i'm a n00b when it comes to Hardware, so i doubt i'd manage to build my own without getting stuck, destroying the HDD/RAM/Cards/etc, or going crazy with suckyness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
it depends how fast you want to go, and how much you're willing to spend.
Whem i mean not being too far behind, i mean by speed. At the moment, a 600MHz computer isn't really much, even though i only bought this computer a few years ago. I just want a computer which will still manage to run most games in 3-5 years time, and also if need be, something i can upgrade easily.
Old 15th August, 2004, 01:48 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

For a nice little budget system that will be up to date, and fast..
I recommend
P4 2.8GHzC
512MB DDR3200 mem
120GB Seagate HDD SATA
Asus - P4S800 mobo
9800Pro

or if you are an AMD fan, you could sacrafice some speed and switch the mobo and cpu out for a XP Barton...

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2004, 02:04 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender
....I just want a computer which will still manage to run most games in 3-5 years time, and also if need be, something i can upgrade easily.
Given the quick turn over in technology today, 5 years is definitely a stretch. The best thing to do is NOT look that far out. If money is a concern, you could build a budget system today for $500-600, and be happy with it for 2 years. By then, new technology that is just coming out now (costing a small fortune) will be much cheaper and more reliable. The cost of a longer time horizon triples the cost of the computer. In other words, it is cheaper to by something slightly slower than the fastest and upgrade as necessary, than it is to buy a top of the line system and hold it for 3 years... That's why I started building my own many years ago. Some things never change.
Old 15th August, 2004, 03:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Also, how does Windows Server 2003 run as a Desktop OS? I was thinking of using it on my old computer since we use it mainly for Word Processing and all that stuff.
Generally, the server versions require more RAM, and tend to be optimized for providing services to other computers as opposed to the applications run on the desktop.
Old 15th August, 2004, 03:56 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

If you go with standard server edition, it is nothing but XP with most of the pretty stuff striped away, but it is still XP based of NT..bla bla bla, nobody wants the specifics..lol

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th August, 2004, 05:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Sadly, i'm a n00b when it comes to Hardware, so i doubt i'd manage to build my own without getting stuck, destroying the HDD/RAM/Cards/etc, or going crazy with suckyness.
In the US, you usually pay about ten per cent more to buy the components and build your own PC. It's worth it, because you will have a better quality box. Plus the fact that you will have a Universal Architecture machine that's easily upgraded.

The catch with OEM boxes(from Gateway, Dell, and Compaq et al) is that the OEM's concept of upgrading is: Throw your box into the bin. Then buy a new machine from us. Trying to upgrade an OEM box yourself is a major PITA. And it's simply impossible in some cases.

*As you don't feel comfortable building your own machine,* let's hope that our British Members will chime in and recommend where to buy a machine off the rack.

It's better to patronize a local PC store that is happy to sell you a machine that they assemble. You can even specify the exact components. This PC WILL be built with Universal Architecture.

*Building your first PC is scary.* The difficult part is researching if all of the components will get along. This is harder than assembling the machine. Yet it's a major milestone you'll be proud of.
Old 15th August, 2004, 06:09 PM

If i pay for a custom built PC, wouldn't i be paying a lot more? The PC i use at the moment is a custom build, but we paid more than what we would for a normal PC. My limit at the moment is around £800.
Old 15th August, 2004, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff

Take a look at the Titans here:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...afs_2d005_2doc

They're in your price range and are built to order - not mass produced.
Old 15th August, 2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Take a look at the Titans here:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...afs_2d005_2doc

They're in your price range and are built to order - not mass produced.
Wow, very cheap compared to some i've seen around. Thanks for the link.
Old 15th August, 2004, 09:00 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:

Whem i mean not being too far behind, i mean by speed. At the moment, a 600MHz computer isn't really much, even though i only bought this computer a few years ago. I just want a computer which will still manage to run most games in 3-5 years time, and also if need be, something i can upgrade easily.
Then you'd need a HIGH END system. Remember you just got that system NOT too long ago (2 years was it?)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 15th August, 2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Then you'd need a HIGH END system. Remember you just got that system NOT too long ago (2 years was it?)
Rob
Well i got it 5 years ago, with the odd updates when the Motherboards have messed up, but at the moment everythings so old that i'd need to upgrade everything, therefore going for a new computer would be the best course of action.
Old 16th August, 2004, 01:01 PM

for 800 pounds u could build u'r very own fast pc. if u r happy with u'r old monitor go to www.ebuyers.co.uk if u r not a big gamer go and get a intel based pc but if u like playing games i would go for AMD based pc all u need is 6 thing to get a pc up and running plus windows xp cd and u could use u'r old cd drives befor buying new drives but be warned some older cd drives don't work with new systems. i know building u'r own pc is not easy it took me over 2 years to get 1 system going but then my 2ed system i got up and running in 4 days. look at the systems under this. have ago and build u'r own it's worth it long run!!!!!!!!:>)

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.

Last edited by sasrob; 19th August, 2004 at 09:37 AM.