AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th August, 2004, 07:42 PM
Member/Contributer

New HDD not visible in Windows?

Evening all, I'm sure this is dead easy to solve but I cant think tonight!
Installed a new Western Digital 160JB hard drive tonight as a slave on IDE1.
Now, its detected in the BIOS and if I use windows System Info tool it shows up as well. Even Device manager shows two drives, the 80GB master and the new 160GB slave, BUT Windows Explorer only sees the 80Gb drive!?

Any ideas? I'll just check the jumpers once again.....

Laz.

PS: Anyone using the Abit Serillel IDE-SATA converters or is it not worth the hassle?

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2004, 07:57 PM

I think you have to partition and format the drive before explorer sees it.

new folding member
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th August, 2004, 08:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Even under WinXP?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th August, 2004, 08:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I believe CoolGeek is correct. You'll have to go into Drive Mangler and find the drive and at least partition it before explorer will see it.
Old 20th August, 2004, 09:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I believe CoolGeek is correct. You'll have to go into Drive Mangler and find the drive and at least partition it before explorer will see it.
that would be correct...
usually there is a utility that comes with the drive that will do this, but if you bought an oem drive i can understand why not. I personally always perfer to add a drive to an existing system using the Manufacturer's utility..kinds guarantees things go smoothly(it'll also edit the registry to say the drive is active, as i beleive this is what is going on in your situation)
Old 20th August, 2004, 11:24 PM
Member/Contributer

It was an OEM drive, so I downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools.....and nothing happened.
So I hunted around for my Partition Magic and voila! Found the drive, partitioned it, formatted it etc in seconds. Its great!
Gizmo, Device Mangler couldn't do anything as is detected the HDD properly, I tried trouble shooting with it but gave up after 10min!

Thanks all.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st August, 2004, 12:19 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lmao
i gotta read posts more thoroughly
dlgdiag will do the trick....not the new windows datalifeguard tools. sorry Laz, i sgould have told you this sooner. all i read was the hd was not recognized.
Old 21st August, 2004, 01:32 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
It was an OEM drive, so I downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools.....and nothing happened.
So I hunted around for my Partition Magic and voila! Found the drive, partitioned it, formatted it etc in seconds. Its great!
Gizmo, Device Mangler couldn't do anything as is detected the HDD properly, I tried trouble shooting with it but gave up after 10min!

Thanks all.

Laz.
Not Device Mangler, DRIVE Mangler. It's in the System Management tools.

In any case, you got things ironed out, so all is well.