AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2004, 01:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

is this a good dvd+-rw ?

time for a new toy...

is this a good dvd+-rw ?

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/Engli..._sohw812sx.asp

if not, what do you recommend?
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2004, 01:39 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I've used this at work and found it quite fiddly. It won't seem to correctly identify what kind of blank media is inserted into it. This may of been that particular drive.

Does it have to be external, because if not try to NEC 2510. Good speed, plus Dual Layer. I would recommend it any time.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2004, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

really? i need a drive to store all my home movies and send it to the famiily. so i'm looking for compatibility and stability more than speed. my family has to be able to see the movies on their dvd player as well.

i thought external might be nice so i can take it anywhere i want. but the drive doesn't have to be external because i just found out that there are usb enclosures that will convert an internal drive to external.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 24th August, 2004, 03:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I have a Lite On 4x burner. It is reliable. But playability will depend more on your families players than your burner.

I have used DVD X-Copy and both +R/-R and all of my players play them fine. But if I give them of my step kids and they try to play them on their cheap walmart DVD players they are all pixelated or freeze or skip. They end up having to watch them on thier PC's.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 11th September, 2004, 04:22 PM

i ended up getting the lite-on sohw-1213...not bad. but for the same price i could've gotten the 1613.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 14th September, 2004, 08:19 PM
Member/Contributer

for compatability you will need to write to single layer dvd's for now because the dual layer ones almost always need a firmware update or won't work. The nec 2510 is a good cheap drive if you don't need software. I have the 2500 (single layer) drive and it's quick, I've never had a failed disc and the dvd-r discs I've made work on every player I've tryed