AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th September, 2004, 06:47 PM

hi all!!
so even if i were to drop the cash on the card and cable i wouldnt see an improvement unless i had 4 more devices hooked up?
i origanaly was just going to put the os on it but got sticker shock when i saw the price of hook ups!
thanks for the f.c. info. i guess i just have a expensive paperweight!lol
brian770
Old 13th September, 2004, 06:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

That's about the size of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2004, 06:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm not entirely certain I understand your question, Noogen?

Most Ultra-2 SCSI LVD drives are capable of operating in single-ended mode (the way older Utra-SCSI and below drives worked) but will not be able to achieve data transfer rates higher than 40 MBytes/Second unless they are operating on a bus that contains nothing but LVD devices, with LVD terminators. In other words, no device on the bus can operate at a data rate faster than the slowest device on the bus supports, and no device on the bus can operate in a mode that is not supported by ALL other devices on the bus.

This is one of the reasons why SCSI CD-ROMs and SCSI Tape drives are usually given their own independent channel on the controller, and many times are even on their own controller.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th September, 2004, 08:49 AM

do i need a cable that suports lvd?
there r so many different cables do i need a female or male 68pin
thanx alot

Last edited by Noogen; 16th September, 2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 16th September, 2004, 03:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you want to run Ultra-2 SCSI or higher, then you need a cable rated for Ultra-2 SCSI or higher speeds. It's that simple. The cable doesn't 'support' LVD in the sense that there is a special wiring scheme for LVD and another one for single-ended. In order to get 80 MBytes/Second or higher transfer speeds, the cable must be wired a particular way, period. However, all 68-pin SCSI cables have the same pinout, so again, you are concerned about the rated transfer speed of the cable, NOT whether it is LVD or not.

Now, having said that, when you get into cables that have built-in terminators, you've got a different kettle-o-fish, because the terminator is most definitely specific to the transfer mode. So you can buy one cable that has a built-in terminator for single-ended mode, and another cable that has a built-in terminator for LVD. Thing is, if you buy a cable that has a built-in terminator, then you are restricted to using devices that support whatever mode that terminator uses.

I think that I may be confusing you a little, so maybe some examples will help:

1) Cable rated for Ultra-2 SCSI transfer speeds with built-in terminator for single-ended mode. This cable will not be able to run at speeds faster than Ultra-SCSI (40 MBytes/Second). Even though the cable (wire) is rated for Ultra-2 SCSI speeds, the terminator is single-ended, and 40 MBytes/Second is the fastest SCSI transfer speed available in single-ended mode.

2) Cable rated for Ultra-2 SCSI transfer speeds with built-in terminator for LVD mode. This cable will be able to run transfer speeds up to 80 MBytes/Second, but you won't be able to plug older single-ended drives in that run 40 MBytes/Second or slower, because they don't know how to do differential signaling, and the LVD terminator can only be used on a LVD bus.

3) Cable rated for Ultra-2 SCSI transfer speeds without built-in terminator. This cable can handle any speed and signaling type from old asynchronous single-ended 5 MByte/Second narrow SCSI-1 up through synchronous LVD 80 MByte/Second Ultra-2 SCSI, depending on the type of terminator and devices you plug in. However, all devices (including the terminator) have to have a common operating mode they can all run in, or all bets are off. SCSI will try to find the fastest transfer mode that all devices can support, but if you've got a narrow SCSI-1 device and a wide LVD U2 SCSI device on the same bus, things are gonna break.

Does that clarify things for you?

Also, 68-pin SCSI devices are almost universally female connectors (plug), so you need cables with male connectors (pins) for all but the most bizarre configurations.
Old 17th September, 2004, 02:53 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....e=STRK:MEWN:IT
i have this adaptor, is this fyne? and a male pin cable should work fyne with it

These r da cables im getting, goot enough
http://www.pccasegear.com/prod733.htm

thanx alot sorri for so many questions
Old 17th September, 2004, 04:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No worries. Better to ask questions if you are unsure than spend a lot of money on components you can't use.

Yes, those components should do you just fine. Report back here when you've got them, and we can walk you through how to install them.
Old 3rd October, 2004, 02:10 AM

here is a parts list im working with
buying--->http://www.centrix-intl.com/?source=...Number=U3SCA80
Buying-->http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDet...=pwaha-2940u2w
already have-->Seagate ST118202LC 18.2GB SCSI 10K RPM Hard Drive)x4

any advice on cables

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 3rd October, 2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old 3rd October, 2004, 03:53 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Something like this is what you need.

Or you could contact the folks at www.tmcscsi.com and have them custom make you a cable for about 2/3 the price of the cable listed above. I get all of my cables from them, and I've not had any problems yet. All you have to do is call (or e-mail) them and tell them you need a terminated U2W cable for one drive, and they will know pretty much what you need and build to order. Usually takes about 5 days to build a custom cable.

Also, even though their web site shows custom cables, they have standard product as well. You could ask them if they have a standard product that would fill the bill.

BTW, welcome to AOA!
Old 3rd October, 2004, 03:37 PM

@Gizmo i see your using a mega raid card mylex. I just order the
Mylex ExtremeRaid 1100 it's 32-bit PCI and 64-Bit PCI Compatible

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 4th October, 2004 at 02:30 AM.
Old 4th October, 2004, 05:03 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've used the ExtremeRaid also. The Mylex controllers are all generally pretty good controllers, although the ExtremeRaid 1100 is a bit of overkill for your application, based on what you've posted.

BTW, the MegaRaid card was originally an AMI product, not a Mylex one. They are both owned by LSI Logic now, though.
Old 6th October, 2004, 06:29 AM

Gizmo I got that card just incase i want to up grade so im covered

here's what left to get
http://www.scsi4me.com/index.php?menu=menu_scsi&pid=17
http://www.scsi4me.com/index.php?menu=menu_scsi&pid=14
http://www.scsi4me.com/index.php?men..._scsi&pid=3033

Mylex ExtremeRaid 1100 it's 32-bit PCI and 64-Bit PCI Compatible (is on it's way)

input or ideas are welcomed

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 6th October, 2004 at 11:06 PM.