AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th August, 2004, 12:14 PM

Good scsi card for my cheetah st118202lc

i dont know much about scsi hd's
I have a seagate cheetah 10k ST118202LC which I heard is very old

Specifications
- Formatted Capacity: 18.21GB
- Interface: 80-pin
- Data Transfer Rates: 80MB/s
- Average Seek Times: 5 .0ms
- Buffer Size: 4MB
- Rotational Speed: 10,000rpm
- Height (mm): HH (42.01)=1.6 Inch

what would be a good card to get this working with my epox 8rda3+
Thanx

Last edited by Noogen; 24th August, 2004 at 11:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2004, 03:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It is a bit on the old side. You'll need a converter from UltraSCSI2 (68pin) to the 80 pin SCA connector on your hard disk, as well as a SCSI card. To be honest with you, it's probably cheaper to buy a new hard disk than to try to use the SCSI drive you have.
Old 24th August, 2004, 03:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's an older drive, but still a good performer, IMHO. I'm running 8 of those in my current rig. Áedán is right, though. You'll need a U-2 SCSI to 80-pin SCA adapter. If you shop around you can find them for around $10. As for a good controller, that rather depends on what you are going to do with it. If you aren't going to build a RAID with it, the Adaptec AHA-2940UW is a decent controller that can be had for cheap (around $30 or so), IIRC.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th August, 2004, 11:46 PM

Thanx
with the card adaptec 2940uw its says Data Transfer Rate Synchronous up to 40 MB/sec (internal devices) up to 20 MB/sec (external devices) but doesn't the cheetah need more then that,it says it has 80mb/s on the cheetah
(o_0)
Old 25th August, 2004, 01:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, but I believe there is a AHA-2940U2W. These days you should be able to get it for about the same price.

Something like this, or this.
Old 25th August, 2004, 01:35 PM

would that be all I need/ just a card ,and adapter and a 80 pin cable and that should get it workin?
I dont get what a terminator is?
soz I dont noe much about scsi
Thanx
Old 25th August, 2004, 05:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

With SCSI (and a lot of other buses, for that matter) you have to have a terminating resistor at both ends of the physical bus in order to prevent signal degradation caused by reflections. In the case of SCSI, this terminating resistor may be a special 'terminator' package that simply plugs into the bus or it may be built into another device, such as a drive or controller, that allows you to enable or disable the termination function.

Since the drive is SCA, you MUST buy a termination adapter that will plug into the SCSI bus. You will plug this terminator into the last physical connector on the cable. Assuming you plug the first connector into the SCSI controller, that will be all you need to do. You can identify the connector that plugs into the SCSI controller similar to the way you do for IDE cables; at one end of the cable will be two connectors spaced farther apart than the rest of the connectors. That will be the connector you plug into the controller. Typically, at the other end of the cable you will have two connectors spaced closely together, and that will be the end that gets the terminator, but that is not ALWAYS the case. If it isn't, just plug the terminator into the last connector on the cable at the OPPOSITE end from where you plugged in the SCSI controller. Then you can plug your drive into any of the remaining connectors using your 68 pin-SCA adapter.

Note that SOME cables have a terminator already built in. This will look like a little flat square of plastic at the end of the cable. If you have one of these cables, you don't have to have another terminator; in fact that would be BAD.

So, confused yet?
Old 25th August, 2004, 11:44 PM

thanx alotz that cleared things upz
but why would it be bad!
Old 26th August, 2004, 01:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Because you would end up double terminating the bus, and would cause the rise and fall times of the signal to go outside of spec.
Old 26th August, 2004, 05:24 AM

ok thanx
one more thing, is it ok if a have both scsi and sata and will work fine
scsi will be my main hard drive with os and stuff and sata will jus be storage

Last edited by Noogen; 26th August, 2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 27th August, 2004, 02:11 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I'm running both an AMI SCSI controller and the onboard SATA controller in my machine right now with no problems. I wouldn't expect you will have any problems.

Last edited by Gizmo; 8th September, 2004 at 03:05 PM.
Old 28th August, 2004, 05:41 AM

once i hav a adaptor for 80pin hd to 68pin connector , would i be needed 2 cables one 68 and one 80 or jus need one 68pin with terminator

what sort of cable would i need, anything with uw and lvd?
Thanx

Last edited by Noogen; 7th September, 2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 8th September, 2004, 07:07 AM

? ani one?
Old 8th September, 2004, 03:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You don't need an 80 pin cable (I'm not even sure they make one). You will need a 68 pin to 80 pin adapter for each drive that you want to run. Then you run a 68 pin cable from your SCSI controller to each drive, in daisy-chain fashion. Put the terminator on the last connector (the one farthest from the SCSI controller).
Old 8th September, 2004, 03:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

BTW, the 68-80 pin adapter will have a set of jumpers on it. Among other things, the jumpers set the drive's SCSI ID. Every SCSI device has to have a unique device ID, or things don't work right. (The terminator is not considered a 'device' so it doesn't have an ID).

Generally, I start out with ID 0 for the first drive, ID 1 for the second drive, and so on. Don't use ID 7, because that is generally reserved for the SCSI controller itself.

You will need a cable rated for Ulta-2 Wide SCSI or better speeds. Most cables these days are rated for U320 speeds, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I've never had any luck mixing Ultra-2 or slower drives with Ultra-160 or faster drives, so don't try. The SCSI standard changed a couple of things with Ultra-160, which makes it very difficult to get older Ultra-2 devices to work on the same bus as the newer, faster, Ultra-160 devices.
Old 9th September, 2004, 04:20 AM

thanx alot
Old 13th September, 2004, 05:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This thread is a refreshment course in SCSI. Thank you very much, Noogen and Gizmo!
Old 13th September, 2004, 05:48 PM

where dose f.c fit

hi all !!
so far this thred is a good scsi primer but where dose my seagate fiber connect fit in? it must not be that good cause i cant even give it away!..lol! all i know about it is i cant afford the card or cable to use it! are the fiber connects a dead idea that looked good on paper?
thanks!
brian770
Old 13th September, 2004, 06:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Fibre Channel (FC) is a totally different technology to SCSI. FC has far more in common with networks than SCSI does. FC itself is basically a networking techology that uses optics to connect things together at high speed. There are even FC devices such as switches. FC supports 1Gbit/sec, 2Gbit/sec, 4Gbit/sec and 8Gbit/sec.

It's designed to provide high performance and redundancy. Many FC devices are dual loop, meaning they can be members of two loops. This can provide redundancy and speed. FC also supports hot swap, loop resiliency and long cables. You can have a maximum of 6 miles of optic fibre in a single loop! FC also supports a large number of devices. You can place up to 127 devices on a single loop.

All this costs $$$. However, for the environments it's designed to be placed in, there isn't an alternative technology that provides the same features. In those environments, it's cheap by comparison!

As to why you can't give it away - who wants an old drive that'll require an expensive adapter? Fibre channel doesn't start to shine until there are at least 5 drives on the loop!
Old 13th September, 2004, 06:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

What Áedán said.

Fibre Channel does what it is designed to do extremely well. Unfortunately, the set of problems it is designed to solve are only issues for LARGE installations. As a consequence, FC devices are manufactured on a small scale and are correspondingly very expensive.

ISCSI is an attempt to address the issues handled by Fibre Channel using standard SCSI components as much as possible, AFAIK.