AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th September, 2004, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

Using both USB and Ethernet ports....

I am currently in the process of building a 2nd comp. I have one modem and one IP address. Is there anyway to use bothe the USB port and the ethernet port for 2 seperate computers? I know my friend does that, but he might have a 2nd IP address, is there any way to do it with only 1 IP address and no router (as I got rid of mine).
Old 6th September, 2004, 10:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

If the modem is connected via USB, then yes. You can use Internet Connection Sharing to share the Internet connection with other machines on the LAN.
Old 6th September, 2004, 10:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you have a docsis 2.0 modem, you should be able to use both the ethernet and usb from the modem... BTW, the v2.0 compliant cablemodems actually have a built in router with a DHCP server, a simple switch allows you to expand your network.
Old 6th September, 2004, 10:24 PM
Member/Contributer

Aedan, what if his modem is only Ethernet? Could he force/change it to USB with a USB-Ethernet adaptor and then do as you said above?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2004, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

I have both Ethernet and USB ports on the modem but I tried using the USB and Windows tried installing new hardware but it could not be found I have a Terayon TJ615 modem what software/how do I use the USB connection?
Old 7th September, 2004, 12:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Let me get this situation straight.

You currently have a cable or DSL modem and one computer. You modem has both a USB an ethernet port. Am I right so far?

Also you want to add a second computer and just plug it into the unused port (either USB or ethernet, whicher isn't now being used) to get it on the internet?

I don't think you can do that. You have a couple of options.

1. (cheapest) You can hook one computer up using the USB port on the first computer. Then use a crossover cable to network both computers together and use windows internet connection sharing to get the second computer on the internet. The computer connected to the modem will have to be on for the other computer to acess the internet.

PS.
If you go this route place an add in the wanted section for a crossover cable. I am sure many of us have a 1000' roll of CAT5 cable along with a crimp tool.

Option #2
Get a router. It is the best option if not the most economical.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!