AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th September, 2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Next hard drive technology?

Hi there,

XBOX 2 is due to use a highly flexible flash memory type of data storage as its "hard drive" so as people can't mod it as easily. It is non-mechanical, and is made on the x86 or similar architechture. Any ideas if pc's mechanical hard drives are gonna go? if so, any links anywhere and release dates?

cheers

offie
Old 9th September, 2004, 07:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

People have been talking about the demise of the hard drive for at least 10 years. IMHO, they're gonna be around for a while yet. Look how long everyone's been talking about the 'inevitable' demise of CRTs. IIRC, this year will be the FIRST year that LCDs have outsold CRTs in terms of dollars spent, much less in terms of units shipped.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2004, 07:14 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Is the rumour about the XBox 2 not having a hard disk actually true, rather than just a rumour? Flash memory is *very* expensive compared to hard disk storage, so even a single GB of flash would substantially increase the price.

Unless someone's come up with a way to build 160GB worth of flash for rather less than several thousand dollars, then I don't think we're going to see flash take over from hard disks too soon.
Old 9th September, 2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

yep, as a matter of fact an isrealie company has developed the technology at a low price. check it out somewhere, i have no link.. :-(
Old 9th September, 2004, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

Well there's all sorts of storage mediums flying around prototyping right now. I started a post on it around here somewhere. If you want one of the most amazing new technologies (IMO), google 'holographic blue laser disc' or something like that. These discs will fit 100 TB (if memory serves correct) with a throughput of up to 1 TB/second. Now imagine that for a second. Just think, you can remove that disc and just carry around 100 TB in your pocket. Amazing.
Old 9th September, 2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offie
yep, as a matter of fact an isrealie company has developed the technology at a low price. check it out somewhere, i have no link.. :-(
I have seen a company claiming that it is providing the memory units (cards?) for the XBox 2. No mention of costing however. If it's along those lines, then the memory cards may not be any larger than used in current consoles. That is between 1-8 Mbytes, and pretty slow.
Old 9th September, 2004, 10:12 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomfreq
Well there's all sorts of storage mediums flying around prototyping right now. I started a post on it around here somewhere. If you want one of the most amazing new technologies (IMO), google 'holographic blue laser disc' or something like that. These discs will fit 100 TB (if memory serves correct) with a throughput of up to 1 TB/second. Now imagine that for a second. Just think, you can remove that disc and just carry around 100 TB in your pocket. Amazing.
I think you're referring to Sony's Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is the next generation DVD. It's max capacity is about 100GB in quad layer format which is in development. Single layer is specced at around 25GB.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th September, 2004, 10:44 PM

Mooky, he was not talking about Blueray, but alternative systems for storing data.

There's been much promise in this field, but no-one has yet been about to deliver anything substantial. Both InPhase's Tapestry series and Optware's unnamed device might make it to market in 2006, and provide about 200Gb on a single disk. Both these companies are claiming they can scale their technologies up, but as they have yet to deliver a working product, it's hard to see any scaling going on!
Old 9th September, 2004, 10:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Sorry to throw this in but has anyone seen those new tiny hard drives! if i remember correctly they were something like 1.5inch in size and had amazing capacitys for such tiny peice and all with a 2meg cache, image the IPOD 100gb !
Old 10th September, 2004, 08:03 AM

look here

this is the holo tec mentioned.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18087
it looks like they did it. at least one terabyte.
also, i found this sight great for the tech headlines.
brian770
Old 10th September, 2004, 08:31 AM

Indeed - that was Optware who provided the press release that prompted the article you linked to. Last I saw, Optware were saying they're on track to release a 200GB disk in 2006, and the 1Tb disk at a later unspecified date. It's one thing to demonstrate the technology, it's another thing to actually release working robust devices onto the market!

Neither Optware nor InPhase have any commercially available drives, despite their tech demonstrations.
Old 10th September, 2004, 11:12 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Sorry to throw this in but has anyone seen those new tiny hard drives! if i remember correctly they were something like 1.5inch in size and had amazing capacitys for such tiny peice and all with a 2meg cache, image the IPOD 100gb !
You mean microdrives? They've been around for donkeys - my dad's digital camera takes one
Old 10th September, 2004, 11:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

No, ive got the atrical here, its toshiba, ill give you a quick low down.

Toshiba announced a new range of 1.8inch hard drived that will fit inside Mp3 players, handgelds and computers. The drives are the first to offer an area desity of 93.5Gb per platteron a 1.8inch drive. They will come in both single 30gb platter and double platter 60gb. The drives come with 2 meg buffers and are shock resistant to 500G. Toshiba also claim the use of their new " advanced pulse width modulation" control that will enable the drives to comsume 20 percent less power then the current standard.
Old 10th September, 2004, 01:25 PM

Hitachi's microdrives are still significantly smaller! That means there's a lot less capacity, but the drive takes up 7.8 cubic centimeters vs Toshiba's 34 cubic centimeters. That puts the Microdrives at less than a quarter of the volume of Toshiba's 1.8 inch drives.