AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2004, 03:21 PM
Member/Contributer

Network cable

What kind of lines are used for cat 5 ethernet.
My dads borrowed (Read: knicked) a load of wire from a building site he worked on thinking it would do for a phone extension.
it contains 4 sets of twisted copper pairs is this just phone line wire or is it suitable for networking?
If not can anyone recomend a uk site where I can buy cat5 and rj45 conectors in bulk

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2004, 03:51 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Is it a green/green white, orange/orange white, blue/blue white, brown/brown white set of twisted pairs?

Also it should have a spec printed on the outside. CAT 3 will have the same pairs but is telephone wire.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2004, 04:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

CAT5 cable is twisted pair, designed to operate at 120MHz. If the cable you have doesn't specifically state that it's CAT5 or CAT6 on the side, then it's probably just phone cabling. I've never seen anyone sucessfully use cat 3 phone cable as cat 5 for anything but 10Meg ethernet, and even then it can be tempermental.

When you say in bulk, how much do you require? Komplett do 300m reel of CAT5E stranded for £32, if you want patch cable. If you need a longer reel, I'll see if I can dig up companies who sell it by the kilometer.
Old 20th September, 2004, 04:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

LOL!

I know that you may have need for a Kilometer of CAT 5, but most of us will do just fine with 300m. I bought a 1000' roll about 3 years ago and have wired my house and my step daughters house and made quite a few cables for friends and family and still have about 1/3 of it left.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 20th September, 2004, 04:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

In addition to what Áedán posted (gee, I seem to be doing a lot of that lately, LOL), you need to make sure that you have the proper wiring hookup, Graham. Wiring Cat5 ethernet is not as simple as hooking up the wires in the same order at both ends. You have to get the PAIRS wired correctly, or the connection will be unreliable. It will seem to work until you start trying to something serious (like transfer files from one computer to another) and then things will slow to a crawl, you'll get network timeouts and garbled data, etc., etc.

For reference, this is the color-code that I generally go by: I believe it is the 568-B standard:
Code:
1 - Org/Wht
2 - Org
3 - Grn/Wht
4 - Blu
5 - Blu/Wht
6 - Grn
7 - Brn/Wht
8 - Brn
Holding the connector in your hand so that you see the copper pins at the top and the wire is coming out the bottom, and you can't see the locking tab, pin 1 is on the left and pin 8 is on the right.

For 10 meg and 100 meg Cat5 cabling, only pins 1,2,4, and 5 are used (the orange/orange-white and blue/blue-white pairs). This means you can use pins 3,6,7,8 (the green/green-white and brown/brown-white pairs) for telephone wiring (indeed, that's the way the spec was originally designed). Note that you don't have to adhere slavishly to this color scheme; the electrons don't care what color the wire is. What is important is that you get the PAIRS properly matched up.

For 1000 meg (Cat5e and Cat6), I believe that the green and brown pairs are used also, but I do not know for certain.
Old 20th September, 2004, 04:42 PM
Member/Contributer

how dim am I I din't even bother reading the writing on the outside. It's cat5e utp
any way theres about 50m of the stuff so it will do my home just need the correct tools and rj45 sockets cheers people

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah