AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2004, 11:48 PM

(DDR 2) x 1gb or (DDR) x 4 gb ?

hi there people,

im going to upgrade my mother board to LGA 775 with PCI express 16x and im getting the Geforce 6800 Ultra and the cpu P4 3.4

my question is.... do you think it would be better to go for the board that has ddr 2 or just the ddr because i already have the RAM From my old computer, but if i was even to match the RAM i already have in DDR it would nearly cost me as much as 800 plus euros, but one gig in ddr 2 i would spend the money on,

which do you think to your knowledge would be better to get.....

thanks in advance for your replies
Old 22nd September, 2004, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Thats a tough call.

AFAIK the main advantage to DDR2 is the increased speed but it has major latency issues making it not that much better performing than DDR.

I am sure someone more knowledgible will better answer your question. But it might help them to know what kind of apps you use.

And welcome to the forum.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2004, 12:29 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

From my standpoint, the only justification for DDR2 is a way for memory makers to push everyone to a new platform so that they can make more money. The latencies are worse than with DDR (which are worse than SDRAM, which are worse than EDO DRAM, but that is a whole 'nuther deal).

In any case, I wouldn't buy DDR2 today, even if I though it were the greatest technology on the planet. Too expensive, yet. In a couple of years it will be reasonably priced and you'll probably be ready to upgrade again, anyway.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2004, 12:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I was thinking the same thing Gizmo, just waiting for you or Adean to chime in.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 22nd September, 2004, 12:40 AM

thank you for your warm welcome Staz and your reply....

The Apps i would use would be Powerstrip, CPU Cool latest version ,Dreamweaver Products, 7zip compression tools, DC ++, and other P2P APPS Hex editors etc , MS Office products, eDimensional - 3D Glasses , Track IR , Voicebuddy 2.0 and (some video encoding products- i use these rarely ) Cubase SX 2.x with alot of Channels Being used at the one time, Nuendo, Garriton Personal Orch, Absynth and Audio Format convertors, Drum Machines, Diamond Bundle Plugins , Giga Cube, and many more in this Category.

i dont use CAD or anything in that description

But the Games i play would be Lock on modern Air combat, MS Flight SIM`s and other Commercial Aircraft and Tactical Flight SIMs, and maybe some Games like operation Flashpoint and Joint Operations T R etc.......

i hope that is enough info for ye, if ye want more then ask me....

thanks again....

Last edited by woodeirl; 22nd September, 2004 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add forgotten apps
Old 22nd September, 2004, 02:25 AM

Well i think the facts are there now...... I`ll Stick with my 4gb pc3200 and il buy a better 478 mother board with a 3.2 processor and i`ll get the AGP version of the the geforce 6800 ultra card and when the prices drop on the neaty stuff il then purchase...........

Thanks very much for the advice

Kind regards

w%DE