AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:06 PM

SATA HD n00b questions

Hey guys. I expect to get a nforce3 (or 4) board next year sometime, but need another HD right now. Was thinking I might as well get a SATA HD to be ready for it. I currently have an nforce2 board.

Anyway, how does the SATA controller thing work? I plug in the controller and then connect my SATA HD to it. Can my existing IDE HD still run off of the mobo controller, or do I have to hook it into the SATA controller as well?

Also, what is RAID 0 and RAID 1?
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:20 PM
Member/Contributer

sata is a new bus used currently in conjunction with good old ide. The drives use a new power conector as well (unless they're just bridged but I'll come to that in a min) so you'll need a psu with sata power ports or adapters from regular molex. I take it you are using a pci sata controller? well the computer will see this as a scsi controller and to boot from the drives you need to set to boot from scsi.
You can use it with your old drives and these will need to stay on the motherboard ide controller.
There are differant types of sata drive, there are native sata drives
and there are bridged versions, which are just pata drives with a bridge chip offering very little gain over regular ide drives
seagate I beleive make native sata drives and most manufacturers that don't will be doing soon
western digital make a drive called the raptor, it's very exensive but also very fast 10k rpm

as for raid, this makes use of multiple drives, raid 0 is called striping, this uses 2 disks at once and alternates writing information to them to effectively double the speed though in real world situations you won't get quite that

raid 1 mirrors the drives for security, it writes all information twice so if one disk fails there is an instant always up to date backup and then there is raid 0+1 which uses 4 drives to give the speed of raid0 and reliability of raid1

there are more raid protocalls but these are the ones that matter to your average person

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:55 PM

thanks for clearing that up. I plan on buying a PCI controller...is that not the best choice?

As for raid...I assume you need a separate controller for that?
Old 25th September, 2004, 05:03 PM
Member/Contributer

it's the only choice if your motherboard has no sata ports, what motherboard do you currently have?
you won't needa seperate controller for raid as the controller should offer it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2004, 05:19 PM

I have the shuttle AN35N ultra (nforce2)
Old 15th October, 2004, 07:31 AM

if u r looking for a sata the wd74gig 10,000rpm is very good but u MUST make sure that u have got cooling on it if u don't then it will get very hot like my wd drive hit 85c that was on the out side god knows how hot it was inside!!!!! when i was downloading things from kazaa it was on most of the day!!!!now i have got it in front of my 2 80cm fans at the front of the case keeping it very cool staying around 30c-40c now 40 is if i keeps it downloading all day!!!!!!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 15th October, 2004, 10:02 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
and there are bridged versions, which are just pata drives with a bridge chip offering very little gain over regular ide drives
Tell that to WD, who's Raptor drives (all models) use a SATA to PATA bridge!
Old 17th October, 2004, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

Do they? I never knew that, why? I didn't even know there was an ide version so how come they aren't native?
Any way my point still stands on regular mid range drives

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah