AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2004, 11:02 AM

Amd Ddr2

hi all!!

i see that OZC is releasing some ddr2 at 800mgz at christmas!
i also see the AMD chipsets using pci-x will be around then, so when will there be ddr2 for the AMD cpu?? is this a chipset thing or a cpu thing? i dont realy understand, at first i thought it was a chipset thing but it sounds like a cpu thing from what i've heard. can anyone set me straight? it seems like if its a cpu thing then AMD is flat out screwed! i havent heard anything about any of the motherboard manufactures releasing a board that has it, and usualy there is at least a roomer about it.
Old 5th October, 2004, 01:54 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

AMD's 64bit processors all have their memory interface embedded on the CPU. This means that the CPU can get to the memory with less latency, but limits you to the memory types that the CPU itself supports. Hence, AMD would need to produce a 64bit processor that supports DDR2. I do not know if they have this in the pipeline.

For AMD's Socket A CPUs and Intel's CPUs, the CPU does not have a memory interface onboard. This means that the chipset has to deal with the memory for the CPU, so it's possible to interface whatever type of memory that the chipset supports.

However, Socket A maxes out at 400MHz effective data rate, so 800MHz effective data rate memory is rather a waste. Intel's P4 FSB currently runs at 800MHz effective data rate, so it might be able to take advantage of the memory.

Having said all that, remember how well the Socket A processors stand up to the P4, despite having half the effective FSB bandwidth. FSB bandwidth is not the be all and end all some would have you beleive.

One alternative to using high speed DDR2 memory is to operate a dual channel system. AMD is already running dual channel on some processors with an embedded memory controller, and this can boost performance without having to resort to expensive DDR2 memory.
Old 5th October, 2004, 02:16 PM
Member/Contributer

ddr memory only has an efficiency of like 60% though, so 800mhz memory with a bandwidth of 6.4gbs would only achieve something like 3.8gbs, so this would still give socket A a boost over ddr3200 memory in real world situations

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2004, 02:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Socket A and A64 processors really need low latency memory, not fast burst speeds. Lowering the latency makes far more of an impact than increasing the speed of the memory. This was one of the reasons for the integration of the memory controller in the A64 processors.
Old 5th October, 2004, 03:00 PM
AOA Staff

I was under the impression that the socket 754 did NOT use the on chip memory contoller.
Old 5th October, 2004, 03:35 PM
Member/Contributer

it does it's just single channel

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!