AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2004, 06:14 PM

LCD Response Times etc

Ive just ordered today a 19" Black Sharp LCD with a 16ms response time which I know should be enough for most things, I was going to get a 12ms 17" screen but got this for £50 more anyway it doesnt have a DVI input am I going to regret that? what are the DVI benefits apart from being digital
Old 5th October, 2004, 06:51 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

For higher res signals, you tend to get less pixel blurring and sharper colours with DVI-D.
What's the monitor's native resolution? If possible, you want to always run your graphics card at your monitor's native resolution or a multiple thereof.

For example, if your monitor has a native resolution 1600x1200, then 800x600 is also a good resolution. However, any resolutions between won't look as good due to the scaling that has to occur.
Old 5th October, 2004, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
For higher res signals, you tend to get less pixel blurring and sharper colours with DVI-D.
What's the monitor's native resolution? If possible, you want to always run your graphics card at your monitor's native resolution or a multiple thereof.

For example, if your monitor has a native resolution 1600x1200, then 800x600 is also a good resolution. However, any resolutions between won't look as good due to the scaling that has to occur.
1280 x 1024 I think
Old 5th October, 2004, 07:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Ok. Plan to run your games at 1280x1024 to get the best look out of the monitor then.

Personally I think that 1280x1024 is a good res for a 17" LCD, but a bit low on a 19". I'd prefer to see 1600x1200 on a 19" LCD, but it really seems to bump the price up!
Old 5th October, 2004, 11:32 PM
Member/Contributer

the benefits are basically image quality, first your card will convert the signal to analogue, ati cards have quite a good ramdac though matrox cards are usually favoured, then this signal is converted back to digital by the monitor
you probabally wouldn't notice without a direct comparison but it's not gonna be the best picture you could have
shame about the response time though, but I do think the screen realestate is more useful than the smoother playback
Thats why I went for a dock off 19" crt, I do feel like I should wear a lead suit in front of it but the picture is superb and in the low contrast mode I use mostly I can look at it for hours before taking a break and the quick switch between high/low contrast mode is great for films/games/pictures

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2004, 01:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

my samsung 710T is better than my old 17" crt, no ghosting, no blurring, with the digital connector. 12ms response time. 75hz vertical refresh, so the eyes dont get tired as fast.

just my 2c
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:56 AM
Member/Contributer

for £230 I got a 19" iiyama diamdtron tube, for the same price I would have gotten a 17" tft which would not have come close to the image quality this screen has
tft's have their uses, but if you have the desk space you can't beat a crt

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!