AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th October, 2004, 07:46 PM
Member/Contributer

hub uplink port

I've just gotten an 8 port dlink network switch from ebay for 50p and theres an extra port on it labelled uplink with a dotted line leading to the other 8 ports and MDI-II labelled underneath what exactly is this for
at first I thought it was for linking hubs together but there are daisy chain ports on the back

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2004, 08:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It is a crossover port so that you can plug the hub into an upstream switch. If you look closely at the dotted line, it is linking the uplink port to either port 1 or port 8 (depends on the model of hub). What that means is that if you have something plugged into the uplink port, then you can't use the port it is linked to.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th October, 2004, 10:22 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah it links to port 1
but what exactly is it for, I'm not sure what an upstream switch is?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th October, 2004, 11:05 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

basically to connect a hub to a router or switch, which then connects to the internet.
and with some models, you dont need the special crossover cable, the hub will crossover internally if necessary (at least mine does)
Old 8th October, 2004, 01:39 AM
Member/Contributer

so should I conect my linux firewall/router to this port or just to port 1?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th October, 2004, 04:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
and with some models, you dont need the special crossover cable, the hub will crossover internally if necessary (at least mine does)
Yah, that's basically what's going on here. The hub has MDI-X ports, except for the one MDI-II, which is a straight-thru wiring of the crossover connection on port 1. So depending on the application (connect to a PC or connect to a switch) you use the appropriate port.
Old 8th October, 2004, 04:41 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
so should I conect my linux firewall/router to this port or just to port 1?
If it is a PC, connect it to port one. If it is a router (a dedicated hardware device, not a converted PC) then connect it to the MDI-II port.

Here's the thing. If you plug into the wrong port you won't get a connect light, but you won't blow anything up, either. So try one; if it doesn't work, try the other. Just don't try to plug something into both port 1 and the MDI-II port at the same time. That won't blow anything up, but it's also guaranteed not to work.
Old 8th October, 2004, 04:41 AM
Member/Contributer

it's gonna be conected to the ethernet card in the linux box so I figure that will be port1 not the uplink then. Cheers I'll update when I get the network cabling and bits

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah