AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th October, 2004, 07:16 AM

Question about hard drive performance

Any time my hard drives are busy working with 1gb+ size files, the whole computer is slow to respond. The hard drive is on a UDMA channel with DMA mode on by default. The CPU usage is normal just around 3-5% during heavy hard drive activity. Is it just hogging up the PCI bus enough to make the computer useless? I don't remember having this problem before when I used to work with files this large, but it's also been a while.

Any tips or general help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 9th October, 2004, 08:20 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How much memory do you have?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2004, 09:28 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If the file is on the same hard disk as the rest of the system and programs, then this will cause issues. In that instance, Windows reading sytem files or program files has the same priority as the file manipulation you're doing.
Old 9th October, 2004, 01:21 PM

Thanks for your responses!

I have 512MB Ram, think I should up that to 1G?

Also, yes! The data being manipulated is on the same hard drive but on a separate partition. I think i see your point.
Old 9th October, 2004, 02:30 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Seperate partition is no help - the drive can only service requests so fast, so if you've got both the system and the data on the same drive, then something has to wait. It's usually the system!
Old 12th October, 2004, 08:18 AM

Memory upgrade won't help in this instance. Another hard drive though will benefit you no end.

I put all my documents on a seperate drive to my OSs.
Old 13th October, 2004, 04:10 PM

I wouldn't say that, bod - if he's manipulating gig files, then he's probably hitting swap hard. Now if the swap is on the same disk as his files, it's going to be like wading though treacle. Even if it's not, hitting swap is always seriously bad for performance. I would reccomend at least 1.5GB ram if he's manipulating these files.

If he's just MOVING these gig files around, then I would agree with ya, bod.