AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th October, 2004, 08:38 AM

Question whats faster????

is a 1.5gig p4 faster then a 2.2gig celeron i'm not to sure i would think that the p4 should be faster as it's there top processor but just not sure ????

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th October, 2004, 02:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I doubt that it would be faster; you are talking about roughly 50% more clock on the Celeron than on the P4. I'm sure there are some things the P4 would be good at, but I doubt overall performance of the P4 would exceed that of the Celeron at the clock speeds mentioned. However, I am not steeped in the mythos of these chips, so I am just offering a barely informed opinion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th October, 2004, 03:16 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

P4

AOA Team fah
Old 27th October, 2004, 04:03 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

No absolutes....First of all, you are talking about 2 dogs.
That said, one will be faster at certain things, and slower in others. What do you measure performance by? gaming, folding, or something else?
Old 27th October, 2004, 06:46 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Bear in mind, gentlemen, that both the P4 and the Celeron in question are clocked at 100 MHz FSB (quad pumped); the only substantive difference here is in the cache AFAIK. Although the difference in cache is substantial, I don't see how it can make up for a 46% increase in clock speed.
Old 27th October, 2004, 02:16 PM
Member/Contributer

I tend to agree with Giz (not that I like it, LOL).
Although the Celeron lacks the cache, it has enough extra juice to make up for it.
Old 27th October, 2004, 06:51 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

IMO the performance will be quite similer, but I would put the celeron ahead by a whisker.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 28th October, 2004, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

Victims-1x ATI X800XT PE (Oh dear), ---------Ouch!!!
Old 28th October, 2004, 12:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to NeVeRmiNd

And a P4 3 Gig??!!? Tisk, Tisk....
Old 28th October, 2004, 02:59 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

http://alexrushing.com/miscpictures/...n3ghzbench.jpg

AOA Team fah
Old 28th October, 2004, 03:06 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeVeRmiNd
Victims-1x ATI X800XT PE (Oh dear), ---------Ouch!!!
It's becoming a bad habbit, and not to mention an expensive habbit at that.

XBL/PNS = neolad