AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st October, 2004, 05:50 PM

Question Router and hubs

I am currently routing cable internet to two computers in my offices. The cable goes to the modem, then to the router, then two the computers. The router is in Office 1, and Cat 5 goes from Office 1 to Office 2. Question: I need to add a third computer to the internet, but I do not have Cat 5 going from the router in Office 1 to Office 3. I do have Cat 5 going from the Office 2 (but no cable tv connection in Office 2, only Office 1) to Office 3. Can I put a hub in Office two to recieve the cable from the router, then send the internet signal to Office 2 and Office 3 computers via the hub? Other than going wireless at this point, I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Old 31st October, 2004, 05:56 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

As long as the total run isn't more than about 200 meters (IIRC) through office 2 to office 3 (including the hub), you should be OK.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2004, 06:27 PM
AOA Staff

There's a diagram which is similar to what you want to achieve here:
http://www.warppipe.com/gettingstart...terandhub.html
Old 31st October, 2004, 10:55 PM

Routers and hubs

Thanks all!
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:53 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Because this is a place of business rather than a residence it's probably worth it to spend a little more and use a yadda port Switch rather than a plain old yadda port Hub. A Switch prevents PC A from contesting the road with PC's B and C.
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, hubs seem to be on their way out...