AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th November, 2004, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Con

The end of legacy?

Well if dell are doing it, is everyone else gonna follow suit?

What's missing :P

And why have dell taken on minimalistic styling on their new keyboards :P
Attached Thumbnails
The end of legacy?-nolegacy.jpg  
Old 11th November, 2004, 12:01 PM
Member/Contributer

No PS2?

What are the specs on that nice little computer?
Old 11th November, 2004, 12:17 PM

2.66 Celeron, 512MB DDR 333.

Nothing fancy, standard PC spec i'm testing before I roll it out to users.
Old 11th November, 2004, 12:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

No legacy means: No PS2 ports, no parallel ports, no serial ports, no floppy.

That machine appears to have serial and parallel, so it's still legacy.
Old 11th November, 2004, 01:03 PM

I was aware of parallel and COM being legacy.

Maybe i should repharase.

Is this the beginning of the end of legacy?

Didn't Abit start making "MAX" motherboards a year or so ago with no legacy?

Remember i've been out of this game for a year or so now.
Old 11th November, 2004, 03:49 PM

Yup, they did. I guess it didn't get them that far though - what happens when your flash goes wrong and you need a floppy to recover the system?
Old 11th November, 2004, 04:36 PM

Yeah there is that. You have to send the chip off i guess?
Surely legacy will be phased out some time.
Old 11th November, 2004, 05:54 PM
Member/Contributer

there will never be 'legacy free' because as they rout out the old the current becomes the old.
IDE will soon be a legcy product but I bet optical drives continue to use them for some time to come. PCI is set to be the new ISA and 32bit the new 16bit and will we ever get rid of that blasted floppy

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th November, 2004, 06:34 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Yup, they did. I guess it didn't get them that far though - what happens when your flash goes wrong and you need a floppy to recover the system?
usb flash keys, maybe? add usb connectivity to the bios(maybe one or 2 ports only...you're set.
Old 11th November, 2004, 07:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
there will never be 'legacy free' because as they rout out the old the current becomes the old.
IDE will soon be a legcy product but I bet optical drives continue to use them for some time to come. PCI is set to be the new ISA and 32bit the new 16bit and will we ever get rid of that blasted floppy
Why such derision for the lowly floppy? It's saved my bacon more times than I can count when other, 'more modern' technologies didn't work. Just because it's new and sexy doesn't necessarilly make it better.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th November, 2004, 08:17 PM
Member/Contributer

I only have 1 possible use for my floppy and thats bios recovery, other than that it will ever be used and never has. even this is a simple case of dual bios support like gigabyte offer, which is much more simple and reliable
dvd-ram looked good for a while but never broke mass market

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th November, 2004, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

I haven't used mine in a while, but that doesn't mean that I never will. Using my USB drive is much easier (and in the end, cheaper) than floppies. Plus, I can carry it around on my keychain in my pocket so I have it handy whenever it's needed.
Old 12th November, 2004, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I only have 1 possible use for my floppy and thats bios recovery, other than that it will ever be used and never has.
Oh, and installing those pesky RAID drivers when you install Windows. You know, the press F6 to install additional storage devices.

The basic problem with the Floppy is that there isn't anything that can replace it. The 'alternatives' all require things like USB stacks (anything USB) or a SCSI command set doing a floppy emulation (Bootable CD-ROM), which are just too much for the boot block on the BIOS. This is the problem with the 'newer' technologies - they actually require so much more resources that they can't fit into an utterly minimal system.
Old 12th November, 2004, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

...and so we'll never be legacy free
my point is not that the floppy has no use, but that we're stuck with it as a legacy item
and does an sp2 streamlined cd still need the drivers at boot time?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2004, 02:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yes, because the boot image on the CD doesn't have access to the drivers in the slipstreamed install. At least, that is my understanding.
Old 12th November, 2004, 04:31 AM
Member/Contributer

I wonder if it would be possible to extract the image (like you have to anyway to make a slipstreamed disc) and add the files to it or would it be full already I wonder.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th November, 2004, 11:15 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
This Thinkpad has a neat solution to that - a 3GB partition at the end of the drive with all a whole load of utilities, not least bios rollback and a bunch of drivers. Means that I can boot off a floppy if I'm prepared to put a USB floppy drive in. This model of Thinkpad boots its own bootloader first.

Perhaps other vendors do likewise?
Old 12th November, 2004, 11:45 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

As far as i know, all IBM's have thier windows installation on a separate partition, tht you access by a jumper, or holingd backspace @ boot.
Old 12th November, 2004, 06:18 PM

Right - I take it all back. KEEP THE FLOPPY DRIVE DAMMIT.

Just spent 2 hours fixing a laptop.

I deleted boot ini from it, because we had to show someone that it wasn't in good working order.

I asked the ownber if he knew the administrator password and he was sure there wasn't one.

So when i go to restore the laptop back to it's original state by booting off cd into recovery console, and rebuild boot.ini, it doesnt accept null as the admin password.

He claims not to have set one, then he wasnt sure etc etc.

So now i have a laptop that wont boot and he doiesnt have the XP home cd that came with it.

So I think to myself, floppy disk with boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr on it.

It has no floppy drive.

Bootable CD? How easy would you think that will be? So i start searching for an ISO on google and get nowhere.

then find instruictions on how to get roxio to take an image of whats in A: and burn it onto a bootable CD, it doesnt work, roxio cant read a: (why not because i can use the floppy for everything else).

So i go searching for an ISO again, and i cant find one. I search for a floppy image thingy and get WinImage, but the image file it made from my floppy wouldnt boot when i made a cd with roxio!!! It said booting etc and just stopped.

Then I have a brainwave. I remember backing up floppies onto a network drive about a year ago, with FLOPMAKE.exe, so i run the util and created an image of the floppy disk.

Then i went into roxio, and chose bootable cd again, and selected this image as the source file like i did with the WinImage image, and burnt the cd.

Booted off the CD and it worked! Wicked, into windows, create a new boot.ini and set it up. Problem solved.

Why did it take me nearly 3 hours to fix this Bring back floppies i say, woulda taken me 10 seconds.
Old 12th November, 2004, 06:48 PM
Member/Contributer

you want ultimate boot cd mate
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
it's got all the boot images you could want on it (plus I think you can add your own with the instructions or just request it for the next release)
it's got password recovery tools, memtest, several dos and linux boot images and a load more
it's free and quite a small download (about 30-60mins) it's one of the reasons I don't go near my floppy

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah