AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th November, 2004, 06:52 AM

Logitech MX-510 + Belkin Nostromo = omg...

I just recently traded a large number of computer parts for a whole computer that I affectionately named "The Reject". It was named so because it was built completely from parts that nobody else wanted.

Case = Powmax flimsy pos
HS/F = Dynatron fan that sounds like blow dryer
Processor = AMD XP 1600+ Thouroughbred (12*166@37C)
WD 40g hard drive (from NM)
1 stick PC2700 256mb Nanya
Bloody Monster GeForce FX5700LE 256mb (Cousin replaced with 5600ultra)
No name DVD drive
No name Floppy drive
misc crappy cables
300w Sparkle Power Supply
Refurb MSI KT400 mobo
15" Gateway Flatscreen (Free from closing business)

So I traded this for a Shuttle NForce2 Ultra 400 mobo, Antec ATX mini-tower, Generic Keyboard, Stick of 512mb PC3200, MX-510, Nostromo, Two way KVM hotkey with Audio. All in all not a bad trade imo. Anyway, I digress...

I used to do "decent" in the PC version of Halo (I sucked) and I got into a game halfway completed while still trying to learn to use the Nostromo pad and came in 3rd place. I totally owned. I swear that reviews on this mouse and gamepad say that it increases your gaming ability and at this point I'm not disagreeing. If you game AT ALL then you owe it to yourself to get one of these Logitech MX-510 mice. They come in Red and Blue from what I've seen and I would have to say it increases my gaming ability by about...30%-40%. I would try to do a full review...but I wouldn't know where to start. At $40 it's a steal for a mouse.

The Nostromo is incredible as well. You can set up and save different profiles for different games or applications and then load that profile before starting the game. You can also save a shortcut to the game from that profile and launch it with the Nostromo utility. There were some complaints of earlier revisions having sticky keys, but that seems to have been solved with the latest versions of the product. (Btw, Daniel, it has a DIRECTIONAL PAD)

Oh, and for those of you wondering, The Reject is doing his part to cure some very nasty diseases.
Old 18th November, 2004, 07:58 AM
Member/Contributer

yea i've read good things about the nostromo, and I now own an mx510. i switched to the 510 from a dual optical mouse man. The diff was night and day. After 3 years now, my dual optical must have become out of alignment, because my aim in CS was way off, I missed a lot of shots I know I shoulda hit. And i noticed a lot of backtracking. I got my mx510, it was sooo smooth. No longer did zipping across the mousepad lose tracking. I also purchased a corepad(glass) with it, with mouseskates(teflon tape) its smooth as ice(not icemat...too expensive!). I've seen that mx510s can read traveling up to 7g's(btw I'm not any sort of phsyics guy, so idk if this is possible or true, since i thought ~4G's was so fast humans pass out...)

If you like ur mx510 now check out the article in the link below. If you dont have any other USB devices(i have headphones on USB), you can crank up the speed and get EVEN MORE performance out of the mouse. I couldn't even get it to work though but i didn't try razor's new automatic patch. its sorta hard to follow if you're using SP2, because the backups the system makes for WFP are in like 5019359013859013 different places so u have to replace all of those... you'll see anyways lemme know if its better...

http://www.warleagues.com/viewnews.asp?view=45
Old 18th November, 2004, 03:48 PM
AOA Staff

not enough buttons on the nestramo for me
Old 18th November, 2004, 04:42 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
I've seen that mx510s can read traveling up to 7g's(btw I'm not any sort of phsyics guy, so idk if this is possible or true, since i thought ~4G's was so fast humans pass out...)
G is a measure of acceleration, not speed. One g is 9.8 meters per second per second. 7g is about 68.6meters per second per second. Putting it in terms of a car, it's roughly the same as a 0-60 time of 0.4 seconds. I'll let you decide if it's true or not.
Old 18th November, 2004, 05:15 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's quite possible to see rather large G forces generated by the human frame over small distances. 7 Gs is an acceleration of 224 ft/second-squared, if I remember my physics correctly. That works out to a distance of roughly 2.3 inches/mS. It might be able to track that, but I suspect you'd have a hard time generating that. Which simply means that the device should be able to accurately track pretty much any movement you can generate.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!