AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2002, 07:47 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

rounded cables

I found color rounded cables online @ www.dumpcomputer.com
Pretty good prices from what I can tell. I just ordered tonight. So I'll let you know how it goes.

I got 2 24 inch ATA100 cables and one floppy cable (black) for under $30

I've seem them locally for $19 for ONE cable.

They also have blue, red and yellow.

I don't know if you guys have delt with them yet, but if you have let me know.

Asta

Roberto
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2002, 01:02 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I remember buying from newegg. Under $10, and they have a lot of colors too.
Old 5th February, 2002, 10:49 PM
Member/Contributer

By bending my excisting ide cables, I get even cheaper rounded cables! Its an easy mod, you only need some duct tape (or whatever) and 3 minutes of time.

Isn't as fancy though, but the price is just right.
Old 6th February, 2002, 09:19 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The pre-rounded IDE ribbons really look nice! My Scot ancestors do the twirl when I look at them. Believe it or not, it's fun to roll your own. I discovered that slitting and splitting ATA/33's demands all of my attention. Green electrical tape on wounded conductors looks very unprofessional. Not that I'd know. Ahem.

ATA/66-100 ribbons are a snap. Just fold them into a "W," then compress it and use cable-ties, tape, whatever you wish to keep them tidy.
Old 6th February, 2002, 10:17 PM
eobard

I go homemade myself. I don't cut them anymore, I just fold them acordian style. I did some by cutting them but I exposed a wire or two and then just said "forget this". Once I have them folded and taped I put "snap on wire protector" over top and then tied the protector closed with the small wire in twist ties. Here's a few shots of what it looks like when installed.
Attached Thumbnails
rounded cables-cable3.jpg  
Old 6th February, 2002, 10:20 PM
eobard

The protector costs about $6 Canadian at Canadian Tire. For the non Canadians out there you should be able to get something similar in your national or local auto parts store. It's meant to be used to protect wires under the hood of your car. For my fellow Canadians here's what the packaging looks like so you know what to look for if you want to get some. This is the packaging for the Canadian Tire brand. Other brands might be called by a different name. Cat's toy sold seperately.
Attached Thumbnails
rounded cables-cable4.jpg  
Old 6th February, 2002, 10:24 PM
eobard

Another thing I like about it other than the looks and cost (that $6 Can got me enough for 3 computers) Is the versatility. I've even put the protector on the main power cable from my ATX power supply, lets see store bought rounded IDE cables do that! Here you can see the cable running to the motherboard. And if you want a different color, spray paint is cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
rounded cables-cable2.jpg  
Old 7th February, 2002, 05:54 AM

http://www.pcmods.com/list.asp?DepID=16&CtgID=36

Saw this, wish I had noticed the price of the black rounded ones before I placed my order on other stuff
Old 7th February, 2002, 06:02 AM

Cool!

Your idea is pretty cool eobard, and keeps everything pretty cool inside too! Great idea. I don't like the thought of having to cut anything, especially an ata-100 because each wire is so small. You also have to be careful when folding as well but...I want to see it get inside the damn tube nice and neat.

What town do you hail from? You always see a Canadian Tire no matter where you live. I have to say that I feel more comfortable in one then any Home Depot that's for sure.

"Why do a single thing today, when tomorrow's surely out there. But the days they turn into years and still no tomorrow appears....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2002, 06:57 AM
eobard

The protector cover comes in different sizes, I went with 1/2 inch and found that the data cables just fit. I live about 1,000 - 2,000 feet from your house, depending on which side of Simcoe you live on. I cross referenced your profile here with your profile in Oc.com and then went to the phonebook.
Old 7th February, 2002, 07:54 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Do the black cable protectors come in a smaller size? They indeed look very nice and neat. The drawback is that they block air flow to a greater degree than compressed, un-"protected" IDE ribbons do.

If they come in a 3/8" size...
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eobard
I go homemade myself. I don't cut them anymore, I just fold them acordian style. I did some by cutting them but I exposed a wire or two and then just said "forget this". Once I have them folded and taped I put "snap on wire protector" over top and then tied the protector closed with the small wire in twist ties. Here's a few shots of what it looks like when installed.
Now I like that.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
Do the black cable protectors come in a smaller size? They indeed look very nice and neat. The drawback is that they block air flow to a greater degree than compressed, un-"protected" IDE ribbons do.

They come in smaller sizes than that. I always called it "flex tubing" or "automotive loom" from my car stereo and alarm installer days. Smallest I ever found was either 1/4" or 1/8" dia. I know a 16ga wire would fit nicely in it.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:37 PM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters

The tubing comes in 3/8ths size but I don't know if they would close properly around the wires though. I debated getting 1/2 or 3/8ths when I was in the store but eventually went with 1/2, there wasn't much wiggle room at 1/2 so I think 3/8ths might be too small.
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Has anyone had any problems with data rate reductions?
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:55 PM
eobard

I've never had any problems but I haven't done any tests. I remember reading somewhere about tests that were done using several brands of rounded cables and home made ones, from what I remember all but one had no difference in data rates for any of the tests compared to flat cables. There was one cable with a slight drop in speed during one of the tests but it was well within the margin of error.
Old 9th February, 2002, 02:14 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by kplonk
Has anyone had any problems with data rate reductions?
I tend to think it's going to be a case of it works or it's FUBAR. If any cables get damaged, it should cause enough errors that speed would not be much of a concern. Ihaven't tried making my own, but I will definitely attest to the fact it improves case air flow. I use 5 cables (including floppy) in my full tower, and replacing 2 with rounded cables cleaned up the intake area so much, I'm only using 4 fans now. One intake and one exhaust have been shut off to reduce noise, with no increase in temps.
Old 9th February, 2002, 06:06 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Well, I got them. I seem to have ordered one's that were way too long (20 inches)I must say that for $8.75 each and $5.99 for the floppy, they are a sweet deal.

I should have gotten the 10 inch ones.

I'll take pix and post them.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah