AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th December, 2004, 06:46 PM

Logic3 VGA/TV Tuner/Games Console etc Adapter

Just bought one of these - due to death of my TV and wanting to free up some space in my room.
As a general review the unit is pretty good TV/VGA/S-video/etc compatible - but it tends to ghost the image on the monitor (21" HP A4576A CRT - bought 2nd hand so no aditional cables to hand) in VGA mode(linked to PNY GF4 Ti 4200 - working properly).

So I could live with this in TV mode as it fairly unoticeable at distance but is not doing me much good up close. The monitor has a secondary EVC input - haven't got a clue what this is - so looking for some advice:
Do you think a: changing my existing vga cables would remove this problem,
or b: is EVC compatible with VGA/adaptor in some way so as to remove the pc from the setup. Otherwise i'll settle for popping my old 15" CRT into my room somewhere to act as a TV instead - but would prefer not to.

????????????????
Old 9th December, 2004, 07:39 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'd try putting a decent VGA cable on there first. The monitor is rated for resolution of up to 1600x1200, so it's unlikely the problem is the monitor (although that might be why you were able to buy it used).

Ghosting of images on monitors is almost always caused by poor quality cables causing an impedance mismatch in the video. Sometimes it can be due to other problems, though, such as a crap video card, or problems with the electronics in the monitor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th December, 2004, 07:54 PM

Smile Sorted - cheers Gizmo

Got it sorted. Mothers work was throwing out old Dell 15" monitors - so i helped myself to one :-) . Using the cable off this for my machine, along with the original HP cable and the ghost is gone, now have to see what impact this has on the Dell using the shoddy cable. Bargain £££. Still don't know how i could utilise the EVC input - but happy the main issue is gone.
Old 30th December, 2004, 08:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hey kellamne! Thanks for posting back. Glad to hear you got it sorted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!