AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th December, 2004, 08:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Netserver storage unit

Hey,

I picked up a HP netserver setup for a great price.....FREE...

Basically the CPU unit is crap..uh junk.

I am more interested in the SCSI controller in it and the Storage System that came with it. It is a netserver storage system/6 It has 2 4.0Gig Ultra2 and 3 9.0Gig Ultra2 drives in it as well as 2 powersupplies. What I am thinking is to install the Scsi card in my main rig and run the storage unit from there. One problem, well probably a few others that I have not thought of yet but anyway. I do not have the cable that goes from the back of the card to the back of the drive unit. Not sure what it actually is. I did a search and there are a boat load of cables out the to choose from. Can someone point me in the right direction? And possible think of any issues I might run into doing this...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Netserver storage unit-picture-18.jpg   Netserver storage unit-picture-17.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2004, 09:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Last I knew, the HP Netservers used an OEM version of the Mylex DAC960-PG controller. So, you should be able to use a standard U2 SCSI cable to connect to the drive bay. Can you give me a picture of the controller and a picture of the connector on the drive bay?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:04 PM

Ok let's see what I can give you....I took pics of the back of the cpu unit as well as the storage unit. the cable is supposed to come from the controller card pic 1 to the storage unit pic 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Netserver storage unit-picture-20.jpg   Netserver storage unit-picture-23.jpg  
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:05 PM

Basically the storage unit has a passthrough to the drive backplane.
Attached Thumbnails
Netserver storage unit-picture-24.jpg  
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Looks like what you need is a VHDI-SCSI2 connector. The VHDI is the connector used by Ultra-2 controllers for external interfaces, and is Wide Ultra-2. Unfortunately, the other connector is a 50-pin narrow SCSI-2 connector, which is typically used for external SCSI CD-ROM and Tape drives.
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:15 PM

The ends are difinatly different from each other. Well now I feel really dumb. I just looked and realized the card is an ISA.....I guess I can come up with a SCSI card that is PCI. The backplace also has a 50 pin connector on it next to the other cable. I can probably just get a long 50 pin cable and card and go that route.....Ya think..??
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:21 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

?!!!

It's an ISA?! Oh geez. Are you sure? I don't know of any Utra-2 cards that were ISA. Come to think of it, I don't know of any Utra-Scsi cards that were ISA, either. The fastest ISA card I've ever seen was SCSI-2.

I don't think you can just daisy-chain off the back of the drive bay unless you mess with the termination. I don't know enough about the configuration of your system to know if that would be a problem or not.
Old 24th December, 2004, 10:41 PM

I will post some more pics later. We are going to the in-laws for Christmas Eve....