AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th January, 2005, 04:36 PM
Member/Contributer

strategic division of labour

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2005, 04:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

To a point. But here's the problem:

Marketing says "We need the ability to put an arbitrary field into the report".

Product Manager says "We need to be able to print an arbitrary field at any point in the report."

Engineering Manager says "We need to be able to give the customer the ability to define an arbitrary report."

Requirements generates a spec that causes the programmer to trot off and build a customized version of Crystal Reports into the application, complete with a full-featured scripting language. Project runs 6 1/2 months and costs $400,000 of development time (developer, qa, documentation, etc.).

Company anounces great new software feature. It is greated with a yawn.

Customer originally asked for "One additional field in the report".

What customer actually needed to know was which telephone number the document was dictated from. This requirement could have been sufficed by a simple script using features already available in the system.

So the company spent $400,000 in resources developing a feature that ultimately STILL didn't meet the needs of the customer, all because nobody could talk to the engineer.

This actually happened to me, and has occurred on more than one occasion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th January, 2005, 05:21 PM
Member/Contributer

but they need to keep the engineers and customers apart because if either ever found out they didn't need the middle man they'd be screwed

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th January, 2005, 05:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

See, that's the thing that infuriates me.

The purpose of a business is to make money. A business makes money by providing service to the customer. Ergo, anything that gets in the way of providing service to the customer should be done away with. I understand that there is a balance that has to be struck between what is profitable for the company and what is desirable for the customer. I'm not quite sure where that balance is yet, having had two failed businesses of my own, but I'm quite certain that it isn't in this setup.
Old 6th January, 2005, 05:47 PM
Member/Contributer

but these people have no talent other than to make people with talent work for them and to stop them being able to work for themselfs. What seems like bad business sense to you, is the only way for these people to do business, it may not be efficient but it's better than nothing

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th January, 2005, 05:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sigh. I know. That's why I'm slowly working up a list of people that I can do contract work for. I figure if I can get myself into a situation where I have enough contract work to pay the bills, I'll be much happier.
Old 6th January, 2005, 06:10 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Actually, I have done over-the-phone tech support. With other technicians. People who are supposed to have a clue. And couldn't find their a** with both hands, a map, and a compass (or GPS, as the case may be LOL).

One of the reasons that I said I must 'respectfully' disagree is because of the fact that I realize that you are in a situation where you deal with these people on a daily basis. Quite frankly, I think I should be closer to the end user than I am, but management thinks otherwise (why companies feel that engineers shouldn't talk to the people actually USING the product is quite beyond my understanding, and a source of constant irritation to me). As a consequence, it is possible that I may see things a bit more clearly than you do (can't see the forest for all the trees). On the other hand, it is also entirely possible that I am so far from the forest that all I see is a blur, and you have a more accurate picture of the situation.

I have the feeling that many buyers won't bother themselves reading a manual or something like this. Instead it's easy to make a call or somethin' But when they are calling they don't have a clue what is involved in resolving the problem. Sometimes they don't even listen. I think it's better for them not to know. Press this and that and here you go, well done!!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 6th January, 2005, 06:23 PM
Member/Contributer

I never get how little some people can know about computers. I've a friend who's a wiz on photoshop, knows it in and out. And he gets hooked on mmorpg's and ends up being one of the top players on whichever game he plays. so he obviously has the capacity to learn things. But he knows nothing about computers, he forever gets spyware (thankyou firefox for saving me at least 2 visits a month ) and anytime anything comes up hes on the phone to me
now as a friend it's not that this bothers me, I quite like helping people out with something im good at, but it just baffles me the way people don't even try to learn, they just presume it needs and expert

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th January, 2005, 06:29 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
IF THE DIGITAL Home ever takes off, then perhaps the millions of dollars the industry is spending promoting it will be recouped.
Quote:
World+dog goes nutz over digital home

Consumer Electronics Show

these are from the INQ. hate to say it giz...looks like i'm right.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=20539

oh, and i agree...most techs out there are just there to fill the seat...but not every one.
Old 6th January, 2005, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff

I did work as a programmer for about 10 years. I was fortunate enough to work for someone who was highly intelligent and knew the right way to go about software development.

I always dealt with the customer directly. I would gather their requirements myself, design the application and churn out the code. We did not employ salesmen or middle men of any kind.

If needed I would work on-site, that way I could speak to the various managers face to face. They could pop in to my office and see how things were progressing for themselves.

Definately the best way to go about it!
Old 6th January, 2005, 08:26 PM
Member/Contributer

People will want the digital home if they are told they want it. I mean how many people really need the internet beyond what they can get visiting their local library once or twice a week, but they are told it's the future and they must be a part of it so they saddle up and start collecting spyware on what would otherwise have been a functional pc
Just lke they are told they need the latest multi ghz multimedia pc when all they do is browse the web, bit of office work, listen to some music and occasionally watch a dvd, all of which needs a pc about 1/4 the power they have, but the salesman knows his job, and people are gonna start having home servers, media pc's the works whether they like it or not because thats the direction the market has chosen and it's spent too much on it to let a little thing like what your average jo wants stop it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th January, 2005, 09:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I always dealt with the customer directly. I would gather their requirements myself, design the application and churn out the code. We did not employ salesmen or middle men of any kind.

If needed I would work on-site, that way I could speak to the various managers face to face. They could pop in to my office and see how things were progressing for themselves.
Prior to the aquisition of the company I used to work for by the company I work for now, that was the way I worked as well. The customers I spoke with were our dealers, not the actual end users, but I was in a position where if I thought I needed to talk to the end user I could. Every one of our customers knew what my extension was, though, and they all knew for a flat fact that if they had a problem and they hadn't gotten satisfaction within 48 hours, they could call me direct and they would get an answer to their question or a solution to their problem. I always gently explained to them that they needed to give our support technicians a chance to help them, and our support technicians also knew that they had 48 hours to either get the problem resolved or get me in the loop, because at the end of 48 hours the customer would be calling me direct, and I would not be happy.

I'll admit, I was brutal with our technicians when I thought they should know better. But our customers thought that we had support that was second to none, loved our product, and loved the fact that if they had a serious problem, they could pick up the phone and talk to the engineer and get a real answer. They might not like the answer they got, but at least they would get it straight, and if the answer was unpleasant they would at least get an understandable explanation.
Old 7th January, 2005, 01:05 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Intel, on the otherhand, are palnnign a dualcore which is just two dies side-by-side..allowing them to produce silicon that if one core of the pair is bad, they can split it off and sell the second as a single core chip.

uhh... so two presshots on one chip = more than 200watts of heat to be dissapated?
Old 7th January, 2005, 01:32 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20460

Quote:
THE BURNING QUESTION about dual cores is how will Intel implement Smithfield and its spawn. Since it is just two cores on a slab, it could be done in a bunch of ways.
Intel is not going to take the easy way out, put two cores in a package and wire them together, but they are going to come close.

Smithfield will simply be two adjacent Prescott cores with a little additional wiring between them. Every second row of cores on a wafer will probably be mirror imaged and the only new stuff is the wiring between the two cores.

This will be done in such a way that if one die is bad, they can salvage a single core Prescott 5xx from the other half.

This means that yield will probably be near 100% on the resulting parts, some will be Smithfields, others Prescotts. You can hardly classify that as bin splits, but it does get the job done

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1587825,00.asp
Quote:
Now Intel will have dual-core chips in its entire line of processors by the end of 2005, Kircos said. Given that, it made no sense to release Tejas and Jayhawk and expect customers to start standardizing on those processors if they were going to be quickly followed by the dual-core Pentium 4 and Xeon, he said.

The engineers working on Tejas and Jayhawk will be reassigned to the dual-core processor projects.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12...tel_dual-core/
Quote:
Smith would only say that Smithfield contains "two execution cores", not whether they're on the same die or not. Separately, he admitted Smithfield's clock speed range would be lower than the top end of today's P4 CPUs, to ensure the new chips "operate in the same thermal budget". Intel's roadmaps put those speeds at 2.8-3.2GHz, well below today's 3.8GHz P4 570.

These factors would suggest the multi-chip package option rather than the dual core, one die product many market watchers will be expecting. The fact that Smithfield will be a 90nm product adds weight to that - Intel can offer and market dual-core using existing technology while it perfects the process that will make it cheap to do so. Combining low-frequency, high-yield single-core dies in the first instance will help Smithfield's economics.

The latest internal roadmaps indicate Smithfield will have x20, x30 and x40 model numbers. Whether they are 7xx or 8xx series chips isn't yet known - 7xx would be the most logical given next year's launch of the 6xx series, but might cause confusion with the 7xx line, what the P4 Extreme Edition is expected to be called when the first 90nm part ships next year. Smith could not confirm Smithfield model numbers at this time
Old 7th January, 2005, 01:35 AM

so answer, no. imagine 2-2.4ghz prescotts.
Old 7th January, 2005, 03:42 AM

http://theinquirer.net/?article=20566
Quote:
The machine was playing HD content with 10 per cent of CPU time and even was capable of HD encoding and playing the other HD file without interrupting the video. The dual core CPU looks like quite powerful stuff.
pics too.
Old 7th January, 2005, 04:09 AM
Member/Contributer

all of which pci-express will be able to take care of as it's key advantage over agp is not just double the bandwidth, which isn't that big a boost, but that it's not asynchronous, making it ideal for handling HD video over
Very few people have need for even the power of processors today, rather than keep ramping the speed and power up they should start working towards making them quiet enough for people to want in their living room
The Pentium-M chip is perfect for this, plus it's a much better architechture than the P4 in terms of instructions per clock and it's ideal for this market segment, but it's just too expensive at the moment
Day to day how many of us put our processors to full use? other than folding the only thing i do that does is video encoding and a lot of this can be handled by the graphics card

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 7th January, 2005, 06:04 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
uhh... so two presshots on one chip = more than 200watts of heat to be dissapated?
In a word, no. The reason is because Prescott doesn't start really heating up until you start pushing the upper envelope of performance. So, Smithfield will incorporate two cores that run slow enough to stay reasonably cool. This will allow them to improve performance while still keeping thermal output (relatively) reasonable (assuming your software is able to take advantage of the dual cores).
Old 19th January, 2005, 05:07 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Guys I heard that PS3 will have a multicore proc at 6,4 Ghz and it'll also work inside a regular pc when the motherboards will be available. What do you think of this?
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 19th January, 2005, 05:31 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Cell processor that Sony, Toshiba and IBM have developed is a very different beast. Part of the core is dedicated to a variant of IBM's 64bit PowerPC 970 processor (Also known as G5). The rest of the core is taken up with various other bits and pieces to make it something that's called a SoC (System on Chip). Rumours at the moment are that the other bits and pieces are effectively processors in their own right, possibly capable of VLIW, definately capable of high performance floating point. That would make the system highly parallel, and might make Intel's Hyperthreading look pedestrian.

Add in a high level of scalability to the design, with the possibility of running many Cell processors in parallel, and it looks to be a very interesting design. In some ways, I suspect that the parallelism will be similar in concept to the way the transputer and AMD's Opterons interconnect. That way, the horrible performance loss inherent in Intel's multiprocessor systems (caused by the processors sharing the same bus) just doesn't exist.

We shall see! I doubt it'll appear on a PC motherboard, especially given that it's PowerPC architecture, rather than x86 architecture.