AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th February, 2005, 04:19 AM

Thumbs down Help !!!!!!

i think i have killed my 6800gt card i tryed to put on of the nv5 coolers it was fine with that but it was no batter at cooling the card so put the stock cooler back in and it will not boot up on the post it peeps on 26 i do beleave that it's the card i did have silicone heat compound all over the gpu but i have cleaned it all off now and it still do not work do anyone know if i can send it off to nvida to see if they can get it to work ??????

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2005, 04:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

The term "I don't know. It just uh broke......." comes to mind.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2005, 05:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Take a good look at it make sure nothings broken >_< and scope the whole thing out for any of that silicon heat compound stf. Just be very thorough and pray it works.
Old 5th February, 2005, 09:30 AM
Steve Jobs

Leaves the question, do i package it up and RMA the 6800GT, or do i throw it in the bin and sketch it up as a mistake. :\ sad as it sounds, every time you RMA a product you broke, god kills a kitten. The honest thing to do is just try your hardest to fix it, maybe talk to nvidia / your manufacturer on the phone about it and if you cant save it buy a replacement. RMAing it, even if they will accept it back which is doubtfull if youve messed around with the thermal interface material and the heatsink, is really not the right thing to do, as if they do replace it, they are paying for your mistake, and by they, i mean the customers that the manufacturer pass on their warranty costs to.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 5th February, 2005, 10:17 AM

i know i have lost over 300 pounds for trying to get it cooler i don't think it is the heat paste as it was running ok with the nv5 cooler(joke running hotter) i think it could be at the back of the gpu as there is a backing plate was touching the little chips once i put the old cooler back in i tryed it nothing the 2ed time the pic was all over the place i think it could have shorted it some were anyone know howe i can tell if it is shorted? any other iders would help me trying to get it to go please

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 5th February, 2005, 11:28 AM
Member/Contributer

After the farce that is SLI I wouldn't loose any sleep over nvidia paying for my mistake, plus you pay £300 for a card it's a simple matter of customer apreciation, the actual components don't cost nvidia anything like that, it's like getting a refill in mc donalds if you spill your drink, they may have charged you £1 for it but the actual contents cost them a few pence so it's worth keeping customers happy because their repeat custom is worth far more than indulging their mistakes.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2005, 11:38 AM
Steve Jobs

the problem i have is that nvidia wont be picking up the bill, the manufacturer will be. and its RMAs that force our prices up, particularly high end products like that. i recon we settle it by getting ET's opinion.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 5th February, 2005, 11:47 AM
Member/Contributer

good point but those prices are already up and plenty of other people do this, though I doubt the numbers are high, so why should this guy write off £300?
ahh the moral implications are baffling

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2005, 12:05 PM

I agree with Graham with this one. They charge you 300 now, in 18 - 24 months, you would probably be paying around the 100 mark, they will still be making and distributing them, but at a lower count.

Extremely overpriced to what they pay for them.

Just return it to it state of sale, and return it. It wouldn't surprise me if they just put it back on the shelf with a discount to be honest.

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 5th February, 2005, 04:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

My opinion is that you contact the manufacturer and you be up-front with them about what went wrong and why. They will most certainly charge you to fix it, but if it is a fee you can live with (usually it is pretty reasonable) then you are money ahead. I've sent my NF7-S back to Abit about 5 times now, and every time they've repaired it for the $25 flat rate. I've always been honest about what happened. So, I've got about $250 in this board, but that's better than having to pay $100 each for 5 boards.
Old 6th February, 2005, 04:19 AM

i am going to tell them what i done. i have sent a e-mail to XFX which is the makers of this card seeing that it's the weekend i have not heard anything back so far i was thinking of trying to flash the video card bios as the mobo bios just reports a problam with the card on both the ep-8kra2- + ga-81848p(-g) mobo's. the only thing about trying to flash the video bios is i can't find any support on this? any one got any good things to say about XFX this is the frist card i have had from them? not to sure but i think i have not shorted the card as the fan would not work the fan working fine

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 6th February, 2005, 06:53 AM

got the ga-81848p(-g) booting up on a 7200 ati pci card working fine in window but the 6800gt card has got problams do any one know of any diagnostics programs for video cards i can use in windows? or can someone help me to flash the bios on the 6800gt card?? please

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 6th February, 2005, 07:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I would just tell them what was what and ask for an RMA. I know Newegg.com would most likely give you one if you bought it from them. A manufacturer might be less willing, but still worth a shot.

And next time use Arctic Aluminium. It's non conductive and much safer arround video memory and other such components.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 6th February, 2005, 12:31 PM
Member/Contributer

flashing the bios won't make a diffeance, if the error occurd as a result of the heatsink swap then it's likely you either did some damage to the card physically, if the thermal compound you used was conductive you may have shorted something, or possibly you didn't attach the heatsink correctly and it burned the gpu out.

Just curious but you did reattach the moles connector? I know my card sets a siren off when I forget and I presume yours would but it doesn't hurt to check.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 6th February, 2005, 03:31 PM

well the temp on the gpu was on just 3-4c over the stock cooler plus i have looked all over the card nothing looked burned out. i have burned out processor befor

as for the moles connector do u mean the little round rubber things?? not to sure sorry mate i will put some pics of the card up soon i may have missed something???

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 13th February, 2005, 07:17 AM

i am still waiting for my syster to bring my cam back can't post any untill then. i have sent a e-mail to XFX last week still waiting to see what there say? do any one know how good is the support ?

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 13th February, 2005, 08:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
good point but those prices are already up and plenty of other people do this, though I doubt the numbers are high, so why should this guy write off £300?
ahh the moral implications are baffling
Sorry to have to disagree. Once a person alters a product they have no right to complain if it no longer functions. When one performs such alterations one implicitly is saying "I can make it work better" And often they can.

But when things go wrong, who but ourselves can we blame? If the fault is entirely our own, then that's where the responsibility lies.

It doesn't matter weather one feels one got a good deal in the first place, one accepted the deal!

If I change a safety feature on a car, to make it safer, then I can't blame Ford if I suffer for it.

What I would do is call them up and talk nice to them, tell them you saved for a while to get it and wanted to improve the cooling and things went wrong, ask them if they can help you out of a jam. Tell them you have a long memory for those who DO help you out etc.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 15th February, 2005, 02:35 PM

i am still waiting for a e-mail back from XFX so i told komplett.co.uk there have give mr a rma and said return it and there see what there can do?

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1
Old 15th February, 2005, 03:17 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrob
well the temp on the gpu was on just 3-4c over the stock cooler plus i have looked all over the card nothing looked burned out. i have burned out processor befor

as for the moles connector do u mean the little round rubber things?? not to sure sorry mate i will put some pics of the card up soon i may have missed something???
Molex connectors are the 4 pin, recangular shaped plastic connectors that power HDDs optical drives, and dead 6800GTs. Ive had the same experience as graham, if you forget to plug the external power supply (the molex connector) into the 6800GT, then it will not run. Also if you use a shared molex on the 6800GT, then it will either not work or have strange effects. I tried running a 12V .18 amp fan on the same molex lead... NOPE 6800 does not share its toys, or its molex cables. Make sure you have a dedicated lead straight from the PSU through to the card. NO extra stops
Im very glad you were honest with them mate, good form
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 20th February, 2005, 07:55 AM

right no it was running fine when i put the nv5 cooler on then when i took nv5 off and used the stock cooler thats when it ****ed up i used the 4 pin as befor could it be the thermal paste i think i could have used to much but any way the good people at komplett.co.uk r sending me a new one thats were i am going to buy all my parts from for now top class komplett

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
corsair HX850 psu
window 8.1