AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th February, 2005, 08:58 PM
Member/Contributer

Which mouse?

Ok, my mouse is on the way out, not because its dieing but because its too heavy and needs recharging everyday it seems.

So, I'm looking at either a 5 Button M$ Optical Intellimouse, Logitech MX 500 or MX510. Which is to be?

laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2005, 09:17 PM

I have the blue Logitech MX510 and I'll swear I've never had a mouse flow so nicely. It's smooth and soft and responds to my movements perfectly.
Old 10th February, 2005, 09:54 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm also using an MX510 and it's a very comfortable and smooth mouse to use. My only gripe is it is easy to knock the back button whilest browsing and I have lost entire typed messages on these boards because of it which is really fustrating, I should really try and see if it's possible to swap the scroll and navigation buttons around really but I've not got round to it yet
other than that it's great

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2005, 10:48 PM
Member/Contributer

hmmm... thought this would be the case. The MX510 is about a tenner more than the MX500 and over 3 times the price of the Intellimouse!

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2005, 10:52 PM
Member/Contributer

510 is a great mouse, its the one most cs and quake players use. Its good for cad too(who cares lol). The microsoft explorer 3.0 is another huge choice, lots of accuracy, low cost, if you're on a budget, I'd wager explorer 3.0 is the best way to go.
Old 10th February, 2005, 11:11 PM
Member/Contributer

the 510 feels much nicer than microsofts mice, I've used a couple and they fealt a light weight and flimsy to me. The 510 has just the right weight for me, it's still light but with enough mass to make it comfortable and controlable.
I've heard intellimouses aren't that responsive for games as well.
You'll be glad you didn't skimp if you go for it, remember it's not like a component that dates, it will still be the same high quality mouse in years to come

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2005, 11:17 PM
Member/Contributer

I think I'll go for the 510, I've used this old Labtec for far too long!

...so who'se going to be my first CS:S victim!

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2005, 01:31 AM
Member/Contributer

ill go usp only if u'd like
Old 11th February, 2005, 08:54 AM
Member/Contributer

MX510 will be here on Wed! Look out Xero!

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2005, 09:24 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Ive got a platinum M$ explorer 4.0...lessened my carpal tunnel. I love my new mouse. Well, few months new lol. Can't go back to a mouse without tilt now! A freind has the MX510, and it's a great mosue...but too small for my mitts.
Wonder if it really give you and edge...LoL...guess we'll find out Sunday, eh?
Old 11th February, 2005, 01:11 PM
Member/Contributer

small? I've got larger than average hands and the 510 is fine.
I have heard the explorer 4 was a step back from previous explorer mice though.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2005, 04:40 PM

Aye, I have pretty large hands and the MX510 is near a perfect fit. Most comfortable I've ever found for my hands.
Old 11th February, 2005, 04:58 PM
Member/Contributer

i've got small girly hands and it feels a bit big, which is just how I like it (the mouse that is)
Old 11th February, 2005, 06:50 PM

wow my hands must be huge then! i could not use the 510 very long..maybe it's the width that's the difference.

It's not the intellimouse explrers that are a step back, but the intellipoint 5.0 software that was included with them, but those issues have been fixed with the 5.2 release. The platimun edition has the fastest reponse time of all of them, and the wireless version works just like the wired, and i usually find lag(i generally buy a wired version for myself and a wireless version for the pc aattched to me stereo).

There's nothing wrong with the 510...just i didn't like hgow it felt in my hand. My carpoal tunnel further complicated things, never mind that most of my waking hours are infront of one of my pc's.
Old 11th February, 2005, 06:57 PM
Member/Contributer

I actually can see how it could feel small, another quarter inch in width would probably make it the perfect fit for me, I guess I'm just used to smaller mice and so the 510 felt like such a relief.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2005, 07:09 PM

it's got almost an half inch in width...but it's at a slope, the the rightnost side.
Attached Images

Old 11th February, 2005, 08:02 PM
Member/Contributer

I think it's just down to what you used to, I had been using a ball based logitech wheel mouse for years and the size of the 510 was a nice improvement for me, I've got fairly large hands, not huge, about a 9" span

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah