AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th February, 2005, 10:57 AM
AOA Staff

Samsung Unveils New DDR3 Memory

DDR3 on its way for 2006.

http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...d=278&Itemid=2
Old 18th February, 2005, 12:23 PM
Steve Jobs

Thats some pretty massive bandwidth there, and new memory controllers once again. So, AMD is slated to go DDR2 next year, but now DDR3 will be around next year? Perhaps DDR2 might go the way of the dinosaur like RAMBUS.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th February, 2005, 04:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

DDR3 has actually been around for a while, but it has been relegated to graphics cards and similar applications.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th February, 2005, 04:58 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
DDR3 has actually been around for a while, but it has been relegated to graphics cards and similar applications.....
Yes, I have some on my graphics card. But, putting these chips on DIMM's is the tricky part as I understand it, due to the higher bandwidth. So, we'll be needing new slots with more channels on our motherboards.
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:00 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Thats some pretty massive bandwidth there, and new memory controllers once again. So, AMD is slated to go DDR2 next year, but now DDR3 will be around next year? Perhaps DDR2 might go the way of the dinosaur like RAMBUS.
It does look like DDR2 may not take-off on PC's. Personally, I'd sooner skip to DDR3 next year and just stick with what I have for now.
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:01 PM
Steve Jobs

Does is have the massive latencey hit that DDR2 has though?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 18th February, 2005, 05:04 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Is there any way to find out what the latency would be on my GDDR3 memory?
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:06 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
It does look like DDR2 may not take-off on PC's. Personally, I'd sooner skip to DDR3 next year and just stick with what I have for now.
lol, intel really have some issues in the memory department. Rambus sent alot of very pissed off customers to AMD territory. Bad idea, bad implementation, bad treatment of their customers. If DDR2 goes south like rambus did the same thing will happen again. One thing i never like about P4 was the lack of standardisation. there are 4 types of ram for it, and 50 odd flavours of speed, SDRAM, RAMBUS, DDR, DDR2. AMD has just DDR, and despite the fact that its been around for ages, it still outperforms DDR2 on A64s. If they go DDR3, that will make 5 different ram types for the P4, none of which work with eachother.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 18th February, 2005, 05:11 PM
AOA Staff

If found this on Samsung's site:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...K4J55323QF.htm

But, it isn't that helpful. It says that CAS is 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. So, which is it? I guess it depends on the clock speed.
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:13 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ddr2 doubles the pcb bandwitcth, but not rteally at the chip. just 2way communication over the 1 way of ddr1..hence the jump in bandwidth.

DDR3 is new chip design, and has been out for a while, at least in smal quantities. I think golden dragon ram had ddr3 on it, but not entirely sure. DDR3 will make hypermemory and turbo cache make more sense to implement...lose the latency of hte current link, and go with the same memory used in graphics cards for the whole system...

i really think that we might see some more standardization with DDR3, but XDR poses some trouble too, on that front.
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:24 PM
AOA Staff

I wonder how much of the XDR supply is ear marked for the Playstation? I guess Sony will be needing a ship load of it!
Old 18th February, 2005, 05:27 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
i really think that we might see some more standardization with DDR3, but XDR poses some trouble too, on that front.
i have no doubt we will see more standardization, just a matter how many standards there will be after the dust settles.
shame every company wants to be the next toshiba.
The big jump in bandwidth is definately a step in the right direction though. I wonder how much DDR3 will be able to fit on a consumer level DIMM. Ive got this feeling that we are going to see ram sizes well above 2GB in the not too distant future as standard fare. Maybe its just me, but size increases have been a bit slow recently. People still give me strange looks when i say i have 2GB, "you will never be able to use that 2GB, your wasting your money" well thats not how i see it.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 18th February, 2005, 05:31 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I wonder how much of the XDR supply is ear marked for the Playstation? I guess Sony will be needing a ship load of it!
Hopefully all of it. PC / console cross over scares me. The day every Xbox2 is PC compatible and on the net is the day i go all unix. Rambus have had their go, and they blew it. they claimed the same amazing specs on rdram when it came out that they are claiming on XDR and i dont think it will live up to the hype either. CELL is a little bit too smoke and mirrors :\ but its going to be even harder convincing PSX zealots than it was convincing G5 owners that they didnt just buy a "supercomputer"
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 18th February, 2005, 06:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

XDR, as it stands now, is not headed for the desktop market. Rambus would like to see it that way, and there is a chance that it may have a toehold on the powerpc market, due to the latest deals, but one of the cpu manufacturer's has to side with them as well, and so far that's only IBM.

Have you seen grand theft auto san andreas, dsio? it is a graphical marvel. they have been able to pull alot of power out of the PS2 with that game, and with Gran Turismo 4. It's all cell shaded, which really does not require alot of power in itself, but the orchestration involved in the city life of GTA:SA is quite an amazing jump from the last in the GTA series. With what i have seen there, i am rather excited to see the next incarnation of PS. It may be smoke and mirrirs, as you say, but the possible multi-threaded-ness of it all kinda makes me excited.
Old 18th February, 2005, 09:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Until there is a fundamental change in the way DRAM works, ALL memory will have a latency hit that will equate to around 50 nS or so for the first memory cycle, and around 10 nS or so for each successive cycle. That's just a limitation of the way DRAM works, whether it is Fast Page Mode or DDR3.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 07:11 PM

but we just got ddr2...
Old 23rd February, 2005, 07:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's the point, now that we have it, it's no good, time to change! We only need it if we think we do ....":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 23rd February, 2005, 08:15 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

ddr2 i believe is going to go the same way as gddr2, short lived as it runs to hot, has latency issues and doesnt run that much faster than ddr. It will last one product cycle maybe two at best before it gets dumped. gddr2 made it onto the ati 9800 256 and some nvidia cards (fx5800 for one) but was gone by the 9800xt (back to ddr) and fx5900
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Well, latency between CAS and data availablity on the GDDR3 is about 9 cycles at 800MHz . TRCD is about 4 cycles. The latency is a bit worse than as DDR in terms of time taken (roughly speaking it's about 2.5 @ 200MHz). However, as GDDR3 is running at much higher frequencies, that increases the impact.
Old 23rd February, 2005, 11:24 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Well, latency between CAS and data availablity on the GDDR3 is about 9 cycles at 800MHz .
What's the CAS likely to be at 1100 MHz?