AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2005, 10:30 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Earth-shattering Revelation

TYAN® DELIVERS NEXT GENERATION OF WORKSTATION AND SERVER PLATFORMS BASED ON
NVIDIA NFORCE™ PROFESSIONAL

Tyan Teams Up with Chip Industry Giant NVIDIA to
Enable Next-Gen Workstation and Server Platforms

FREMONT, CA, January 24th, 2005 - Workstation and server applications are constantly driving the call for higher-power systems. In order to deliver the next-generation of platforms to meet the most demanding application challenges, Tyan has partnered with NVIDIA in the development and release of two new platforms which raise the bar on customer expectations for workstation and server performance.

The Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895), based on the NVIDIA nForce™ Professional 2200 and 2050 core-logic solutions, will enable customers to realize new heights of performance never before available in the server and workstation markets. Features such as dual PCI Express* x16 slots with full x16 speed on each slot, provide customers with unprecedented access to graphics powerhouse processing for a wide range of programs. In addition, NVIDIA SLI™ technology and Tyan's unique dual PCIe x16 implementation elevate workstation systems to world-class performance levels. Other features include support for 64-bit Dual AMD Opteron™ 200 Series Processors, Registered DDR400 memory support, multiple PCIe and PCI-X slots, dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, built-in FireWire (1394a), USB 2.0, Serial ATA-II with NVRAID™, Audio, and hardware performance modification through NVIDIA nTune™, a performance utility, part of the NVIDIA unified driver package.

Rackmount server customers will admire the incredible, 1U-optimized layout of the Thunder K8SRE (S2891) that doesn't compromise on core features needed by demanding applications. Based on the NVIDIA nForce Professional 2200 media and communications processor (MCP), in conjunction with the AMD-8131, and HyperTransport™ technology for standard-setting I/O performance, the Thunder K8SRE (S2891) offers scalability and performance in a powerful and efficient server platform design. Features such as support for 64-bit Dual AMD Opteron 200 Series Processors, Registered DDR400 memory, strategically-positioned PCIe x16 and PCI-X slots, dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, built-in video controller, and Serial ATA-II ports all provide the ultimate server package for any IT infrastructure requirements.

"NVIDIA is pleased that Tyan has selected our NVIDIA nForce Professional MCPs for their new line of server and workstation platforms," said Drew Henry, general manager of platform products at NVIDIA. "Tyan's Thunder line, the first PCI Express products for AMD Opteron processors, provide professionals compelling solutions for building high-performance, fully featured platforms."

"The introduction of the Thunder K8WE (S2895) and Thunder K8SRE (S2891) herald a new level of scalable, high-end solutions," stated Don Clegg, Vice-President of Marketing and Strategic Programs at Tyan. "Tyan and NVIDIA have partnered to deliver the next generation of workstation and server platforms designed to meet or exceed customer expectations on performance."

The Thunder K8WE (S2895) and Thunder K8SRE (S2891) are now sampling in limited quantities, and will reach mass production in Q2 of this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Earth-shattering Revelation-tyan.gif  
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2005, 06:41 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Kaitain, Aedan, Gizmo..........guys....no comment???
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2005, 07:00 PM

mmm. looks interesting alright
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 25th February, 2005, 07:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
How well does it fold?
Old 25th February, 2005, 07:57 PM

hmmm please forward me two test systems and after careful examination I will render my opinion. Oh, and keep the hardware lol.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th February, 2005, 09:39 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Awesome board...
I'm sure it is a pricey server board, but I'm confused. I'm not sure how valuable SLI will be on a server board. I suspect that a high end server board might have a ragePro on board GPU.

I'm interested in dual CPU, but will wait until dual core, and true mobo support are available... I'm too cheap to even consider something like this.
Old 25th February, 2005, 09:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Consider their market Steve! They want to sell them to IT's right? What better way than Sli! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 26th February, 2005, 11:30 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
Well, the server board makes no mention of supporting trunking or redundancy for it's networking ports. That's a shame as it immediately means there's a smaller market for it...

Trunking is when multiple network interfaces are aggregated to provide more bandwidth. IE, 2 x gigabit interfaces appear on the network as a single interface capable of 2gigabit/sec. As such, I'm not sure how well it'll fair against some of the other products out there.

Redundancy means that multiple network interfaces work together, so that if one link goes down, the server is still accessable on the network.
Old 26th February, 2005, 03:25 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
I'm not sure how valuable SLI will be on a server board.
That does seem odd, perhaps they are hoping people will want to build workstations or should that be play stations, based on this board.
Old 26th February, 2005, 04:02 PM
AOA Staff

I think "workstation" is the key word in this "server/workstation" board..
Old 26th February, 2005, 04:08 PM
Steve Jobs

a couple of my 3dsmax / maya hooligan mates use dual cpu dual 3d card. dual cards to have multi monitor support, They both run tyan dual TBird 1300 systems with a quadro AGP and MX4000 PCI for tri monitor support better than a parhelia. dual video card obviously has its benefits to 3d artists, and dual cpu helps as well. most modern 3d apps can use multiple chips, from memory they commonly split the workload into particle effects and vector calculation or something to that effect. Given how CPU limited current generation video cards are, and given the increased CPU workload involved in professional 3d artistry i guess it makes a lot of sense.

Then theres also the show off factor, which is pretty cool
pimprig had a picture of a dual opteron dual 6800U with both GPUs and CPUs watercooled. That. Is. Cool.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 2nd March, 2005, 04:40 PM

i'm not to sure but games really do not run much batter on a 2 processor set up as games r made to only run with one processor. right or wrong......mmmm

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 2nd March, 2005, 06:14 PM
Member/Contributer

yup almost all games don't benefit from dual processors. Quake 3 did support smp, and back in the day of the BP6 and dual overclocked celerons there was some benefit to be had, but when the processors got faster, the lack of memory bandiwdth became the restriction and so a dual 1ghz coppermine setup would be no faster, and sometimes slower than a single cpu.
Of course bandwidth is no longer as restricted, so I don't know what kind of differance a dual opteron system would have but I know of no other games than Q3 that support smp

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2005, 06:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlyjoe
I think "workstation" is the key word in this "server/workstation" board..
The annoucement is for two boards. One server, and one workstation.

The Thunder K8WE includes the SLi.
The Thunder K8SRE is designed for 1U rack mount, and doesn't have SLi.