AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2005, 09:33 PM

Angry Is AMD64 limited at only 2 memories?

I have one GA-K8NXP SLI (AMD64/3200+/939, 4 x 512DDR400/CL2 (TwinMOS), etc.)
I'm experiencing stability problems when used 4 pcs of SAME memory on that board at 400MHz, even when CL is degraded at 2.5 or 3.0. I wrote to Gigabyte's support and someone from their tehnical support send me one internal AMD technical sup that stated that on all 4 slots used the max. limit is 166MHz, aka 333DDR. Make some sense for you ?
I have allready founded TAHT only solution to boot and install XP; but when faster memory is ,at last, at hand is somebody crazy enough to put a 200MHz FSB processor to work with 166MHz memory on a "board " that costs 210USD+VAT?
Old 4th March, 2005, 12:06 AM
Member/Contributer

It's quite a common problem with Athlon64's, there are still compatability issues when using lots of fast ram, you shouldn't have any trouble with just 1gb but if you need to use 2gb then unfortunately you are going to need to settle for ddr333(actually 320mhz)
It doesn't have that huge an impact on performance though, if you think about it the socket 939 platform has twice the memory bandiwdth of s754, yet the same clocked chips are only rated around 9% higher, so a 20% reduction in memory bandwidth won't have a huge impact on performance

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!