AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2005, 11:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

No longer able to backup dvds..

I had to rebuild my machine after my 8rda3+ crapping the bed.. I now have an 8rda3+pro w/ the ide drivers from the 4.27 nforce package.. I have been able to backup data to dvd's but can't back up my dvd's anymore.. it goes through the whole writing process but when I put the dvd in it, there isn't anything on it and it won't play in my dvd player. I know the burner still works for backups because I had it in an older machine and it worked just fine. I'm using DVD Decryper & DVD Shrink.. with the latest version of Nero.

I've tried backing up 2 different movies and even one I backed up before but they all didn't work just wound up with six coasters . I was using the default Windows XP SP2 IDE drivers before the 4.27 ones if that makes a difference.
Old 26th February, 2005, 11:53 PM
Member/Contributer

The newer version of nero is likely to be the cause, unless you've updated your drives firmware, or your using differant media than last time

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th February, 2005, 11:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

My main rig doesn't have SP2 because of dvd burning issues. I don't use nero. DVDD & DVDS should be enough.

What burner are you using? also, what blanks?
Do you stick labels on your DVDs?
Old 27th February, 2005, 12:16 AM

I'm using 4x dvd+r ridata's.. burned a ton without any troubles so far... DVD Shrink actually uses nero to copy the dvd's. Only reason I'm using service pack 2 is because I was having troubles on this system without it.. with a slipstreamed service pack 1a XP install the machine would get to the Windows XP boot screen and I'd hear the hard drive turning but the machine would never get past the Windows XP screen

This is the drive I'm using.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...82-025R&depa=0

I've used labels in the past.. but I haven't for these last few backups.

Last edited by Nate-X; 27th February, 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2005, 12:23 AM
Member/Contributer

I think its usualy better to use dvd-r's for video's
I use nero for dvd video's usually but I have noticed a load I've done recentally take ages to start up for some reason, and I'm not sure if it's down to the newer version of nero I'm using or me changing to an LG writer from my NEC one

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th February, 2005, 01:02 AM

I mainly got these dvd+r's from the 300+ positive reviews people gave on the newegg site for them hehe. I have had 0 problems with videos before tonight.. Hopefully it's just a newer nero problem and not a service pack 2 issue since I don't wish to redo this machine again!!!

I put the burner in my old machine.. and it's backing up without a hitch hehe.. I'm actually getting low on dvd's so had to buy another 100pack tonight! I did get some free dvd-r's from newegg though so I'll have to give those a try too and see how they do.
Old 27th February, 2005, 07:50 PM

Bah.. all the data dvd's I made earlier are dead too even though the files were on them I got errors everytime I tried to open any of the files.. poopy.

Re-doing my machine now.. no slipstreamed installs.. just XP, then SP1A I'll let you know if it fixes the dvd issues.
Old 27th February, 2005, 08:25 PM

well natz how are you after fairing out with the DVD probs
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 27th February, 2005, 09:22 PM

Not sure yet.. need to re-download all my drivers.. and don't have access to the system atm.. hehe had been setting up in the bedroom and wife is taking a nap bleargh! Should know by tonight or tomorrow.
Old 27th February, 2005, 09:33 PM

Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 28th February, 2005, 01:34 AM

Well, made a playable backup of monsters, inc earlier so it seems to be working. Using a standard install of xp, then installed service pack 1a and the nforce 5.10 drivers.

Correction.. the movie seems to be playing but the picture is 'glitching' every now and then.. like if you have cable and the picture starts to go out.. not sure if the dvd was dirty when I copied or not.. trying another one.
Old 28th February, 2005, 02:11 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Can your burner run error tests in Nero?
Some can do PI/PIF tests to let you know how good the burn went. With a recent build, you have to be careful troubleshooting. Are your glitches on the set top DVD player, or on your PC?
Old 28th February, 2005, 02:41 AM

The little 'glitches' are when I'm watching the movie on the dvd player connected to my tv. I'm trying to back up another movie of mine to see if it's just the one movie or something else I need to work on for my system.

Bah.. 2nd movie to backup.. same little glitches.. dammit to hades! I did burn them at 8x on 4x media (though I have been for sometime)... will try and burn at a slower speed I guess

Last edited by Nate-X; 28th February, 2005 at 02:56 AM.