AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th March, 2005, 10:13 PM

250gb hard drive problem

I heard back from Epox and they told me my mobo was too "old" for the 250gb drive I just bought, even though I want it in 3 partitions? Has anyone used a drive larger than 137gb with the 8k7A+ ?? How did you do it? Running WinXP Pro w/sp2 already.
Old 14th March, 2005, 10:10 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, BruceY!

It is possible that the mainboard's BIOS is too old to support a 250 Gb HDD. That you want to partition it makes no diff, the mobo has to be able to see the whole drive before you can do anything to said HDD.

Maybe a BIOS update can fix this hassle? It's worth doing the research to find out.
Old 15th March, 2005, 04:51 AM

The software from the drive manufacturer should be able to get around this. The other option is to pick up an IDE controller card - they are less expensive than a motherboard.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 01:41 AM

worked around issue before updatiing my bios. I found it on Maxtors cd that came with the drive, its calle Dynamic Disk Overlay. Worked the way I wanted it have it anyhow. 3 partitions.............
Old 21st March, 2005, 02:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

wouldn't an IDE controller card slow down the bandwidth to the drive because instead of 66mb or 100mb on the mobo, i think the max you can get out of a pci controller card is 33mb...am i correct/wrong?
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 05:38 AM
AOA Staff

no, I think PCI is 133mb/s,

and I think that was PCI 1.0, but I been s9o....
Old 21st March, 2005, 03:57 PM

An add-on PCI controller will most likely be faster than the IDE controller built into your chipset - but if you are happy with the way it is partitioned out now I'd say leave it be

AOA Team fah
Old 24th March, 2005, 02:14 AM

I have a raid option on my mobo and 2 UIDE channels. I wanted the 250 drive as 3 partitions anyhow. Now is all up and running, all ducks in a row , drives A thru L

Thank You for helping Bruce