AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th March, 2005, 08:38 PM
Member / Master of Toiletries

Send a message via MSN to Toro Send a message via Skype™ to Toro

Flatscreens

Ok doke. I know that this will generate a lot of answers, but thats what i'm looking for so i can make the best informed decision

My question being, what am I looking for in a flatscreen monitor? I'm not looking for something with bells and whistles, this monitor will not be used for gaming, mainly for office work and browsing the interet, not too fussed about brand names either

thank you in advance for all input

"Check the Forum Rules Announcement, listed there."

AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2005, 08:46 PM
Member/Contributer

By flat screen do you mean TFT or a flatscreen CRT

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2005, 10:28 PM

all these questions!

either really

yay for being as vague as possible

AOA Team fah

Old 11th March, 2005, 10:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to fantomfreq

My friends and I have all had good dealings with monitors from a company called CMV. Their monitors are sold at Newegg. Neither my friend nor I have had any dead pixels on these monitors and they are fast enough for my gaming needs. The best part is the price, as they are usually a bit cheaper than any name brand. Neither the box or monitor have any sort of logos on them so you can be sure you're paying for quality over a brand name.

Now I'm sure that a very expensive monitor would trump these CMV ones, but the CMV I've got is about the same quality as the year-old Sony monitor that my parents have. I'd recommend them for anybody looking for a monitor but doesn't want to spend loads of money. Oh, as an added bonus, both of the CMV monitors I've dealt with have been VESA mountable, though nowhere on any site has it said so.
Old 11th March, 2005, 10:42 PM
Member/Contributer

Well I use a 19" iiyama vision master pro 454 and it's image quality is superb, 1280x1024@100hz and it's image quality is excellent. Plus it has a handy way to quickly switch to high and low brightness modes, making it easy on the eye for reading text, but vibrant and clear for watching films or looking at pictures
It gets my thumbsup

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th March, 2005, 10:55 PM

I gather that refresh rate is important on these things, but much more so if playing games, is that correct?

AOA Team fah

Old 11th March, 2005, 11:22 PM
Member/Contributer

yup, less than 85hz hurts my eyes, 100 is high enough for me to look at all day
on tft's the response time is important, 14ms is min for games, 12ms is better though

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th March, 2005, 12:44 AM

is CRT measured in refresh rate? or are both of them?

AOA Team fah

Old 12th March, 2005, 12:56 AM
Member/Contributer

with a crt an electron gun constantly scans the screen illuminating phosphors, the refresh rate is how many times a second it does this scan, if you watch a crt with a camera you can see it happening. A tft has the screen illuminated constantly, and the response time is how fast it can change a pixels state, so it's similar to the crt's refresh only low response times don't look flickery like a low refresh on a crt does. response times of 25ms are acceptable for desktop work which is only 40 times a second, video won't look smooth and niether will games but it's fine for general desktop use. A crt though needs at least an 85hz refresh rate other wise it will cause eye strain and head aches

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th March, 2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
. A crt though needs at least an 85hz refresh rate other wise it will cause eye strain and head aches
my CRT is only at 60Hz apparently, its never ever bothered me.

but thanks for pointers

AOA Team fah

Old 12th March, 2005, 11:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

The LG L1730S, goes for about $500 Australian, and are very good moniters. 12ms response time. 17" very stylish. No issues so far. Been in use 2 months. Excellent for games.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 12th March, 2005, 04:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Some people aren't as sensative to it, I have a friend who's monitor only manages 1024x768@60 and it kills my eyes when ever I need to work on his system but it doesn't bother him
But I bet if you looked at a 100hz+ refresh rate for a long enough period of time, then looked at a 60hz rate you would see the differance, I know when I upgrade the video drivers and forget to set the refresh rate overrides I can really see the flicker.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th March, 2005, 12:06 AM

yeah im running 1280x1024@60, been running it for ages, never knowingly suffered bad effects, but i suspect you're proly right, once you've gotton used to 100 its hard to go back

AOA Team fah

Old 13th March, 2005, 01:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Does the hz on moniter effect TFT's?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 13th March, 2005, 02:38 PM

from what has been said above, TFT's are measured in miliseconds (ms), this time the lower the better

AOA Team fah

Old 13th March, 2005, 05:02 PM
Member/Contributer

You can work out the effective refresh rate of a TFT by taking it's response time, and dividing 1000 by it. So a 12ms response time tft would have an effective frame rate of ~85

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th March, 2005, 09:22 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via MSN to mookydooky

TFT is a little different though. The technology illuminates the pixels all the time and only changes when the liquid crystal flips. This is in contrast to a CRT where if the phosphors are not refreshed, it dims. At around 85hz, the dimming and refreshing is more or less invisible to the naked eye and thus there is no flickering. With LCD there's no flickering, period. When you see refresh rates for an LCD monitor, it's just there for compatibility with your video card. What you experience though, is a lag in response when things are moving rapidly on the screen. The response time measures the time it takes for the LCD to change the color of a particular pixel.

AOA Team fah

我喜欢大屁股, 我不能骗你..... 他们弟兄不能否认......
Old 13th March, 2005, 10:11 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
with a crt an electron gun constantly scans the screen illuminating phosphors, the refresh rate is how many times a second it does this scan, if you watch a crt with a camera you can see it happening. A tft has the screen illuminated constantly, and the response time is how fast it can change a pixels state, so it's similar to the crt's refresh only low response times don't look flickery like a low refresh on a crt does. response times of 25ms are acceptable for desktop work which is only 40 times a second, video won't look smooth and niether will games but it's fine for general desktop use. A crt though needs at least an 85hz refresh rate other wise it will cause eye strain and head aches

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 13th March, 2005, 10:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Some people aren't as sensative to it, I have a friend who's monitor only manages 1024x768@60 and it kills my eyes when ever I need to work on his system but it doesn't bother him
But I bet if you looked at a 100hz+ refresh rate for a long enough period of time, then looked at a 60hz rate you would see the differance, I know when I upgrade the video drivers and forget to set the refresh rate overrides I can really see the flicker.
Oh Yeah! When ever I update drivers the screen is unwatchable until I pump up the Rez rate...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 13th March, 2005, 10:59 PM
Member/Contributer

thank god we aren't pigeons

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah