AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th March, 2005, 04:59 AM

RAM combination for video editing

guys... please help me solve this matter, which one give better performance, using 2x512mb ddr value ram, or 2x256mb ddr premium ram (kingston hyperX/corsair twinX)?? i wanna use it mostly for video editing, very rarely playing game.... fyi i use Abit AI7 mobo with prescott 3,0ghz (standar not yet overclocking), crucial radeon 9700pro, 2x120g seagate hd raid 0 ... thanx...
Old 25th March, 2005, 05:56 AM
Metal Wizard

Well 2 x 512 is better. But, you have come this far don't get the value stuff. If you plan on OC'ing for that matter if you dont plan on it!! Get a gig of Patriot 3200 xbl
with timings 2-2-2-5 or G.Skill PC4400 with timings of 2.5-3-3-7 which also will allow it to run at 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 to about DDR430. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-033&depa=1
Keep an eye on it to come back into stock or possibly find it elsewhere just make sure it is the XBL.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...231-006&depa=1
Again watch for it to come back into stock. you want the LE chips.

Spend the money, get the good stuff. Then you are done, edit to your heart's content.

I believe you can get on an auto-notification list from Newegg,so when the mem shows up you will know it. Provided you check your mail.

WZ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th March, 2005, 09:47 AM

weldzilla, thanx for your reply.... i'll try to get those memory, btw i cant order from newegg, i dont live in america... so maqybe it is hard to find those memory in here... the premium memory that available in my country limited to those kingston or corsair, and some mushkin, other than that no stock... especially for 1gig kits... for 512mb kits, there are bit more option and stock available.... well if someone planning to go holiday to my country (indonesia), let me know okay... maybe i like to order some stuff from you
Old 25th March, 2005, 08:55 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

It will help to sit down and compare the 512 Mb DIMMs that are available in Indonesia. It's relatively easy to do the research via the Web. IMHO, you're better off with 2 512 Mb modules, even if you need to run the machine at stock.
Old 25th March, 2005, 08:57 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

a gig is pretty much mid-level requirements for any machine now. get some cheap low latency stuff..2.5-3-3-8 would be good, and should do 2-3-2-6 in almost every occassion(the value-level of ram rtight now is 3-3-3-8)
Old 25th March, 2005, 09:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to AOA Forums, ifebb!

Where were my manners?
Old 26th March, 2005, 04:33 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Welcome to AOA,
and see my sig.
I'm running an AI7... If you are interested in video editing, the more memory the better. Speed of the memory is actually second to how much you have.
Old 26th March, 2005, 06:19 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters
It will help to sit down and compare the 512 Mb DIMMs that are available in Indonesia. It's relatively easy to do the research via the Web. IMHO, you're better off with 2 512 Mb modules, even if you need to run the machine at stock.
I'm with George on this, your not planning to game or anything so MORE mem is probably going to server you better than just FASTER ram.
I could be wrong though.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!