AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:05 PM

Still working if only I could find a rf cable and some software to run LOL The PSU is somewhat discoloured
Attached Thumbnails
AOA's Computer Museum-a1200a.jpg  
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
Ah the Amiga A1200
That's it!? OK Suppose I like compact, will it run my 4 meg Orchid vid card?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:09 PM
AOA Staff

The heat probably affected the PSU plastic.
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:32 PM
AOA Staff

The Amiga 1200:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...1&limitstart=9
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:37 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

man, i remember getting one of those, and thinking how sleek it was, after my commodore64. the damn floppy on the commodore was almost as big, if not bigger, than the keyboard/motherboard/cpu dealy.
Old 6th April, 2005, 08:39 PM
AOA Staff

I remember selling a truck load of them, didn't have one myself because I was a PC boy by that time.
Old 6th April, 2005, 10:21 PM

Those were the days, i certainly miss my Amiga, still play the games today on an emulator...

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th April, 2005, 12:33 AM

me too. loved my Amiga 500
did you know that a scene demo group (scene demos are like cg gfx music videos) actually made a full 3d demo on an amiga?
Not just that, another group managed to run mpeg video on an 8086 PC!

I'll post direct links later if interested. It's at www.scene.org
PC Specs:
It's Black. What more do you need to know?
3DMARK05 SCORE: 6038
Old 7th April, 2005, 01:31 AM
AOA Staff

Some good info on Amigas here:
http://amiga.emugaming.com/a500.html

Nice screen shot:
http://amiga.emugaming.com/aos39screen2.jpg
Old 7th April, 2005, 07:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Long before I caught the "I gotta get a PC" bug, a local store advertised Amiga's. I thought the name was way too wimpy to even think about.

Years later I discovered that the Amiga's were kick butt machines that were far ahead of their time-- three CPU's, mama mia! Oh well, they were definitely beyond my budget.

Mini-computers were outrageously expensive. Can they earn a place in our museum, or are they beyond the pale?
Old 7th April, 2005, 07:52 PM
AOA Staff

The Amigas were very impressive amazing for games and multi-media. They never took-off in business and education, so couldn't compete with the PC.
Old 7th April, 2005, 07:58 PM

I think im learning as much about history just from this thread as from reading the article.
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:02 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Amiga is still making machines, in the form of MAC clones.
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:12 PM

Ive found some games for my amiga but cant remember hwo to load them lol
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The Amiga coupled with the Video Toaster was a damned fine video editing machine, about like the AtariST coupled with the SLM804 printer and a good desktop publishing package.

I had both a heavilly modified 520ST and a heavilly modified Amiga 500 at one point. The Amiga was the first PC to have a fully multitasking OS (in 256K of ROM, no less) as standard. The Atari 1040ST was the first PC to come with 1 megabyte of RAM for under $1000.

I did, however, come to the conclusion that the Amiga's file system was solely responsible for the development of high-speed hard drives. Using that thing with a single floppy would have tested the patience of Job.
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
The Amiga coupled with the Video Toaster was a damned fine video editing machine, about like the AtariST coupled with the SLM804 printer and a good desktop publishing package.

I had both a heavilly modified 520ST and a heavilly modified Amiga 500 at one point. The Amiga was the first PC to have a fully multitasking OS (in 256K of ROM, no less) as standard. The Atari 1040ST was the first PC to come with 1 megabyte of RAM for under $1000.

I did, however, come to the conclusion that the Amiga's file system was solely responsible for the development of high-speed hard drives. Using that thing with a single floppy would have tested the patience of Job.
If i'm not wrong the ST was taken up heavily by the music industry due to its midi capabilities?
Old 7th April, 2005, 08:25 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Ive found some games for my amiga but cant remember hwo to load them lol
Something like LOAD"*" 8,1

or was that the C64!
Old 7th April, 2005, 10:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
If i'm not wrong the ST was taken up heavily by the music industry due to its midi capabilities?
Yeah, I had completely forgotten about that. The ST was quite heavilly used by musicians because, from what I understand, the Midi timing was rock solid. And then you had CuBase Audio. With that and a Mega4 ST, you were SET!
Old 11th April, 2005, 11:01 PM

I found a great site with info on the Amiga 500 and a link to a C64 page as well
http://www.jamesalanpatterson.com/amiga.html

I just have to post this advertisement, it shows what set the amiga apart back in 1989:

http://www.mbarabi.com/amiga/Amigaeyes.jpg
PC Specs:
It's Black. What more do you need to know?
3DMARK05 SCORE: 6038
Old 14th April, 2005, 08:01 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Not that I'm complaining about something that has no bearing whatsoever upon today, but they should have used a pic with a woman diving into the water instead of a guy. Men probably bought 95% of personal computers in 1989. Ah trivia, it is so dang important.

Tags
vintage computers