AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th April, 2005, 08:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

temps

you all probably know that i have the OCZ PowerStream 420w but i think it is causing my system to be hotter than usual. could it be b/c i have a fairly small mid-tower ATX case and the PSU has long cables or is it b/c the PSU is hotter than my old one?

CPU temps b/f I put the new PSU in were 45c idle and 48c load and now with the new PSU it is 48c idle and about 50c load.
Old 10th April, 2005, 09:26 AM
Steve Jobs

Question:

Does the current PSU, have a fan mounted underneath it that sucks air up from below itself (above the CPU). Secondly, does the previous PSU have one of those fans?

OCZ powersupplies are reasonable units, albiet not the most "refined" units. I still have some reservations about OCZ products, particularly their PSUs, and i dont find them to be as efficient or stable as similar Enermax, Thermaltake, Zalman and Antec units.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Question:

Does the current PSU, have a fan mounted underneath it that sucks air up from below itself (above the CPU). Secondly, does the previous PSU have one of those fans?
I'm not sure about the Powerstream series, but they have two fans for sure - the question is, if the sucking fan is in the bottom of the PSU or at the back (push-and-pull solution, like in Tagan PSUs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
OCZ powersupplies are reasonable units, albiet not the most "refined" units. I still have some reservations about OCZ products, particularly their PSUs, and i dont find them to be as efficient or stable as similar Enermax, Thermaltake, Zalman and Antec units.
You seem to have forgotten about Tagan (2x+12v line, which can be put together - U22 series), Topower P6 and the sexiest PSU ever avaliable : X-Connect.

http://zenfist.pl/zasilacz.php/cPath...0500W%20Black/

As to the above link : a PSUs maniac has just opened the first online shop for PSUs freaks in Poland - he checks every single PSU, before sending it to the customer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th April, 2005, 12:35 PM
Member/Contributer

The fan/fans are probably just spinning at a lower rate than before, either that or during the installation you didn't position the cables as effectively as before.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th April, 2005, 01:08 PM
Steve Jobs

some cable ties and rounded IDEs are always a good start, as is using the cable runs in your case. Most people are too lazy to use them or even know they are there. All of the Antec/Chieftec classic style cases... you know the ones with the door on the front and the curved pieces on the front where the fans are.... the ones that the XASERII 6000 are based on, have very good cable runs in them, for you to hide the ATX connector, and all the molexs.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 10th April, 2005, 02:22 PM

MietmaN - just had a look at the X-Connect - that is sweet - almost too nice to hide away in a case
Old 10th April, 2005, 08:00 PM

my old psu had only one fan, this one has two. my case, Aspire X-Dreamer, doesnt have the cable runs(i think) and i have rounded IDE cables.

there are more wires than my old psu wich causes more cludder so i think that it might just be obstructing the airflow causing it to be hotter. right?
Old 10th April, 2005, 09:59 PM

i just spent almost an hour and a half rearraging my cables and such, but didnt help the temps. why would a new PSU raise the temps for my case and CPU??
Old 10th April, 2005, 10:23 PM
Member/Contributer

well the psu affects airflow and is also a source of heat.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th April, 2005, 01:59 AM

I had the same thing when I put a new PSU in my machine, they were both generic, but the older 300W had only 1 fan in the back, and my new one 550W, has 2 fans, and my machine is alot warmer, partic the CPU now, than it was before.

It now runs 40 - 45 idle, and went right up to nearly 70C when I was in CS earlier, dont know exactly what the temps are, but I got temp on the HSF, MGM puts the temp up about 4/5C from the temp probe, and BIOS reports 10-12 above the temp probe...

Main machine                Gateway machine         Wifey's machine
O/S WIN XP Pro SP1              SuSE 9.2                WIN XP Pro SP2
CPU 2.8 Celeron D               1Ghz Pentium III        2.4 Celeron D
RAM 768MB PC2700                512MB PC133             512mb PC2700
HDS 40GB Excelstar              20GB Quantum Fireball   40GB
VID XFX FX6600GT 128MB          NVidia 2 MX400 32MB     O/B AGP Video
MOB Eliteforce ECS 661FX-M      DELL                    DELL
Old 11th April, 2005, 02:09 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellamne
MietmaN - just had a look at the X-Connect - that is sweet - almost too nice to hide away in a case

Xconnects are just looks. bought one, took it back right away. 13.2v on the 12v...way too much for my liking.
Old 11th April, 2005, 05:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The horrors that can hide behind a pretty face. It's depressing sometimes.