AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th April, 2005, 04:20 PM

Maxtor 300G only being recognized half the time at boot.

I bought myself a Maxtor 300G 16MB cache hard drive a few weeks ago. and i hadent noticed this before but seems the hard drive is only being recognized about half the time when my system is booting, the boot screen will show my raptor but sometimes it wont show my Maxtor. Weird thing is, if i keep rebooting a few times in a row then the maxtor magically appears during the boot process. But once the drive is recognized and i fully boot into windows, the drive never suddenly dissapears. Its as though if the drive is recognized during boot then im ok the rest of the time the computer is on, but if i boot and drive not found then i re-boot and re-boot till it does come up.

At first i thought it might be a cable going out, so i replaced it, but obviously that wasent the problem. This maxtor drive was replacing a Hitachi 250G drive, which never had boot recognizing problems, it was always recognized? By the way i ran HDDlife and it shows the drive as being good (i know that HDDlife cant predict future failures but it looks like its saying the drive is ok at the PRESENT).

Well anyway, has other people had this problem, i thought i read somewhere that the drive comming up missing was perhaps a bios thing? If theres a fix or a workaround id love to hear from you guys.

P.S. my system specs are below
Chenming 601 with window|Dangerden watercooling TDX + NV-78 Nvidia VGA Block|Enermax 600W|Asus A8N-SLi Dlx|AMD Athlon64 FX-57|2x1024 Corsair XMS3500 ProSeries|1 Raptor 74G|1 Maxtor-10 300G SATA|BenQ 16X Dual DL 8X|Lite-On 16X Dual|Nvidia XTX 7900GTX|Dell Ultrasharp 2405 24" LCD|Creative X-Fi|Z-680 5.1|Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
My Computer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2005, 04:35 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

windows has a 139gb limit, i beleive. when i installed my 160's, i got some osrt of message along those lines...run the drive tool from Maxtor, and you should be able to open up the rest of the drive.
Old 13th April, 2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
windows has a 139gb limit, i beleive. when i installed my 160's, i got some osrt of message along those lines...run the drive tool from Maxtor, and you should be able to open up the rest of the drive.
Im running windows xp pro w/SP2.. i have use of the full drive.

My problem is the drive is only being recognised about 50% of the time i boot up. And when the drive dissapears i need to re-boot a number of times before the drive is recognized duting the boot process.
Chenming 601 with window|Dangerden watercooling TDX + NV-78 Nvidia VGA Block|Enermax 600W|Asus A8N-SLi Dlx|AMD Athlon64 FX-57|2x1024 Corsair XMS3500 ProSeries|1 Raptor 74G|1 Maxtor-10 300G SATA|BenQ 16X Dual DL 8X|Lite-On 16X Dual|Nvidia XTX 7900GTX|Dell Ultrasharp 2405 24" LCD|Creative X-Fi|Z-680 5.1|Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router
My Computer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2005, 04:45 PM

Which cable did you check? Just the SATA one? Did you check the power one? Are you sure the SATA one is secure? Even if the cable is good, if it's not on nice and tight then maybe you're getting a sporadic connection? Seems odd that it's only recognised half the time - I had the same motherboard with a Maxtor 250GB drive and didn't have any problems. Had same BIOS rev as you too. Only other thing is faulty drive, but you say you've checked that. What's your supplier like, do you think they'd swap it for you if you said you're having intermittent problems with it?
NVidia 6800GT
Yesico FL-420(T) Fanless 420W PSU
2 x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA RAID0
Silverstone Temjin TJ05S-T Case
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD

AOA Team fah
Old 13th April, 2005, 04:48 PM

Sry..i thought it was windows not recognizing it all the time...did not understand it was bios. i would be suspect that the power connector has another device on it? sound like a power issue to me.
Old 13th April, 2005, 05:28 PM
Member/Contributer

I agree with cadaveca, it sounds like a power issue, like the psu isn't powerful enough to cope with the load at power on and the drive isn't initialising. Does it actually spin up but just not get detected or does it not even spin?
Try disconnecting everything other than the drive and see if it powers up.
What psu have you got?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th April, 2005, 05:51 AM

Thumbs down

I have the exact same problem with a Maxtor 200GB IDE 16MB cache drive I just bought. The drive is also loud and hot relative to my other IDE drives. It also occasionally freezes up my computer when I'm doing something disk intensive. Last time I used it, it froze while formatting it through Windows XP's diskmgmt.msc.

I pulled it out and stuck a 250 MB Western Digital drive with an 8 MB cache in the same position on the same IDE cable and the problems were gone.

I've come to the conclusion that the drive is a piece of crap and I'm RMA'ing it back to New Egg in the morning. Even if it was too late for me to return it, I wouldn't put it back in my box. It's garbage and not worth the time.

Last edited by Chickenhead; 25th April, 2005 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 25th April, 2005, 05:53 AM

it's the 16mb cache that is causing the problems...i wonder if XP supports that size of cache.
Old 25th April, 2005, 05:56 AM

Why do you think it's the cache size?

Even if it is, which wouldn't surprise me, I'd say that's still Maxtor's screw-up. I mean what OS did they think most people would run it on?
Old 25th April, 2005, 06:04 AM

xp64, due out tomorrow? Linux variants? Win2003server?
Old 25th April, 2005, 02:15 PM
Member/Contributer

Do maxtor have a 16mb cache 200GB drive? As far asI was aware they only include 16mb cache on 250/300GB drives

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th April, 2005, 08:00 PM

Yes, but don't buy it. I'm sending mine back to the Egg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Do maxtor have a 16mb cache 200GB drive? As far asI was aware they only include 16mb cache on 250/300GB drives
Old 30th May, 2005, 09:16 PM

Well after thorough investigation, i have found out it is an issue with a feature called (delayed staggard spinup) causing the bios, during boot, not to recognize the drive, because the drive will have a delayed spin-up causing the bios to fly right past it and not recognizing it.

I got ahold of Maxtor and have received new firmware for the drive. Its actually a 2 stage firmware upgrade. But after having installed the new firmware i have not had a cold boot isssue for 6 days now, when before i almost always had the (drive disapearing) problem on EVERY coldboot.

If anyone wants to try the new firmware's then pm me or something and ill send them to you in an e-mail.
My Computer
Old 30th May, 2005, 10:54 PM

Good news

Puzzleing.I'm glad you got that worked out.