AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th April, 2005, 11:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to vspl

not enough psu?

hello, this is my first post here. i've been reading for a little while and i am looking forward to learning lots of stuff from this great site.

while i'm in the middle of building my first computer right now, i've come across a few problems. well, actually i've had nothing but problems trying to figure stuff out this far. LoL. but anyways, my question is about my power supply. i am planning on running a lot of fans in my case (about 5 or so) and i don't know if i should be worried about my current 350w psu coping with all of the consumption. here are the parts i have or am waiting on for my machine:

cpu: amd 64 3000+
mobo: chaintech vnf4 ultra
vid: chaintech 6600gt pci-e
mem: wintec 1gig (2x512)

i am thinking about buying a cheap generic 550w psu, afterall i am on a real tight budget here. what do you think?
Old 15th April, 2005, 11:47 PM
AOA Staff

5 fans isn't so many.

I would avoid buying a cheap 550w PSU. Go for a good quality brand name PSU in the 400w range or even 380w would be plenty. They're not so expensive and will outperform a cheap 550w PSU.

How much did you want to spend on a PSU?
Old 16th April, 2005, 12:02 AM

well, the thing is, i would rather not buy a new one if its not necessary since i've already gone over budget on this project. but what name brand would you recommend for a decent 380 or 400w psu? okia and x-power are the most dirt cheap ones i've found thus far but i doubt those are manufacteurs that anyone's heard of?

here is a pic of my current 350w psu:
http://members.shaw.ca/tjb003/IMGP2637.JPG
Old 16th April, 2005, 12:14 AM
AOA Staff

BY the looks of it the PSU you have should do the trick.
Old 16th April, 2005, 12:28 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Enermax 350... should be enough. If you start overclocking alot, it may not be enough, but stock settings should be ok.
Old 16th April, 2005, 12:54 AM
Member/Contributer

It has 26A on the 12V line which is the key, and thats plenty, you are much better off with that unit than a generic one.

Enermax and Seasonic are the only brands I would touch for a psu, they offer the best quality and best efficiency. Cheap units really aren't worth bothering with for high powered systems, you run the risk of failure which could take other components with it, and the wasted power will cost a lot more on your power bill.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2005, 01:35 AM

Wink

i have just made my new system with new enermax 600w v2.0 i am very happy with this. but i did use qtecs psu for around 5-6 system from 300w going up to 600w and i had no problams with them but most people say there r crap so thats why i got the enermax psu? i would say go with enermax you only gets what you pay for now adays on this 600w psu when i turn the pc off the psu fans keep going for 1 min cool or what!!!!

the next thing is with the 5 fans is this with the cpu fan or no? the frist thing i all ways do is cut the round vents holes out of the case it cools down the pc alot my cpu (amd3800 temp max 48c norm 31c) i am only running 4 fans 1x120mm at front 2x80cm back 1xcpu fan when i get my new 6800gt card there will be 5 with gpu fan.

something like this.......
Attached Thumbnails
not enough psu?-picture-001.jpg  

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2005, 02:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrob
on this 600w psu when i turn the pc off the psu fans keep going for 1 min cool or what!!!!
It is a bit of a gimmick though, unless someone here knows of a reason why this helps, I suppose it would be handy if you needed to open the psu up and wanted it cool to do so.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th April, 2005, 02:48 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

fans on a rad running would be nice...i am always digging in my case, and the extra cooling would make me a bit happy. I've been considering an enermax as the antec phantom didn't work out, and i still ahve a credit at that supplier...
Old 16th April, 2005, 02:51 AM

I'm running a Enermax 350 and 5 vantec stealth fans. Stable as hell. Just run with a good
brand. 550 watts of junk equals 250 watts of quality.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Old 16th April, 2005, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrob
the next thing is with the 5 fans is this with the cpu fan or no? the frist thing i all ways do is cut the round vents holes out of the case it cools down the pc alot my cpu (amd3800 temp max 48c norm 31c) i am only running 4 fans 1x120mm at front 2x80cm back 1xcpu fan when i get my new 6800gt card there will be 5 with gpu fan.

something like this.......
if you count all the fans i'm gonna have around 8 or 9. 1x cpu fan, 2x psu fans (do those count?), 1x gpu fan, 3x 92mm case fans (1 front, 1 rear, 1 side), 1x 80mm case fan (for hdd), and theres supposed to be active cooling on the mobo when it gets here as well. I don't quite know yet how i am gonna set all these fans up but i will experiment around with them and try to get the most efficient cooling possible.

i was thinking of doing the same thing with the vent holes on my case. especially the 92mm slots on the front and back since they look like they'd restrict a lot of air flow. here's a pic of the vent hole pattern on my case:
http://members.shaw.ca/tjb003/IMGP2638.JPG
Old 16th April, 2005, 07:47 AM

Cool cut them out!!!!

you said it mate batter airflow plus faster air flow!!!! i find that must cases has got crap intake vents plus back not being much batter thats why i got the ninja case from www.xcase.com very good case as u can see and front vents that don't look out of pleace you still have to cut the vent holes out but thats no problam with my draper multi-tool got it for 15.99 on offer or u could try the ventec tornado but the noise is too loud for my likeing
Attached Thumbnails
not enough psu?-picture-004.jpg   not enough psu?-picture-006.jpg  

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 19th April, 2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
It has 26A on the 12V line which is the key, and thats plenty, you are much better off with that unit than a generic one.

Enermax and Seasonic are the only brands I would touch for a psu, they offer the best quality and best efficiency. Cheap units really aren't worth bothering with for high powered systems, you run the risk of failure which could take other components with it, and the wasted power will cost a lot more on your power bill.
Stop saying these two companies have the best efficiency.

SeaSonic's Efficiency states this: Up to 80%.
Which means it can make it to 80%, but probably hovers around 70-75%.

Enermax States this: minimum of 70%.
This means it won't go lower than 70% and it can go higher than 70% and possible reach 80%.

Same thing applies to Antec, AMS, Thermaltake and many other brands.

Now if SeaSonic stated that it was a 80% minimum, then that would be something.
Old 19th April, 2005, 06:15 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueklown

This means it won't go lower than 70% and it can go higher than 70% and possible reach 80%.

Each and every PSU has a different efficiency rating, not just a single blanket rating that covers every model from each brand. It also varies depending on what load the PSU is under.

Take the Enermax Noisetaker 475 for instance.

have a look here http://www.silentpcreview.com/article149-page3.html

at its efficiency at various load levels. That isnt even one of their best models.

81%-82% at 200W - 300W is pretty impressive. And 200W 300W is the exact ballpark a 6800 / athlon 64 user with disk drives is after.

The enermax 600W V2 that my server runs is 85% - 90% at 200W-400W.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 19th April, 2005, 10:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueklown

Seasonic I think are the only brand to have a psu (none passive) that does have a min of 80% efficiency I believe, but both those brands do have around 80% efficiency or higher at mid and high output levels. Antec only have an efficiency of about 68%, and most over brands are 70-75%
The seasonic super silencer 400W for instance manages 80% efficiency at output levels as low as 90W, and at 150-200W it manages 82%, so thats any p4/athlon64 chip covered from idle to full load

now consider an Antec at those levels, and it's more like 65% at 90 and ~68% at 150-200W

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th April, 2005, 02:43 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
i would say go with enermax you only gets what you pay for now adays on this 600w psu when i turn the pc off the psu fans keep going for 1 min cool or what!!!!
Why would you ever shut it off?!?! FOLD my friend!!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 19th April, 2005, 02:46 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
Why would you ever shut it off?!?! FOLD my friend!!!!
Rob
So much preaching over folding these days .

F@H team members are starting to sound like heaven's gate cult members with all the recruitment and number counting!
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 20th April, 2005, 01:30 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
So much preaching over folding these days .

F@H team members are starting to sound like heaven's gate cult members with all the recruitment and number counting!

HAHAHAH
Look back at my old posts, you'll see that I've always been this way.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah