AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th May, 2005, 06:35 PM

did any of you see the xbox la party on mtv, what a pile of s*** they didnt actully show anything, i saw about 1 second of in game play, i heard the us version was different, does anyone know if there is any in game stuff on the net anywere
joe
Old 14th May, 2005, 07:35 PM
Member/Contributer

The MTV thing was all about appealing to your typical PS2 owner, so it was all glitz and people going 'ssup dude' and crap like that giving the impression the the XBOX360 is cool.

The stuff thats actually interesting and worth finding out will be released at E3, hopefully with enough painful scrubbing and showering I can get rid of this dirty feeling after having watched it.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2005, 09:30 PM

agreed,
p.s the average ps2 owner = me lol
Old 14th May, 2005, 10:26 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't actually mean that as insulting or elitist, the fact is your average PS2 owner considers it another appliance much like their tv or vcr, which there is nothing wrong with, it's a device of entertainment which technical knowledge shouldn't be necessary for

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2005, 09:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
The MTV thing was all about appealing to your typical PS2 owner, so it was all glitz and people going 'ssup dude' and crap like that giving the impression the the XBOX360 is cool.
Yeah, all teenagers talk like that.

*sarcasm metre explodes in a firey shower of shrapnel*

Im 16 and I sure as hell dont talk like that.

Quote:
The stuff thats actually interesting and worth finding out will be released at E3, hopefully with enough painful scrubbing and showering I can get rid of this dirty feeling after having watched it.
Shave all your body hair.
Wash yourself in peroxide.
Clean your eyeballs with kitchen fat.

Then your on your way. :\

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 15th May, 2005, 09:44 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
I don't actually mean that as insulting or elitist, the fact is your average PS2 owner considers it another appliance much like their tv or vcr, which there is nothing wrong with, it's a device of entertainment which technical knowledge shouldn't be necessary for
I know what you mean. Im rather snooty towards PS2 / Xbox owners, because so many know it alls have taken the time to explain me the ins and outs of why an Xbox is superior in all ways to my computer.

To those people i would say, if I was poor, I would buy an Xbox. But im not, so I wont. People dont accept that though, and insist that the Xbox's 3dcard (a geforce FX class chip) is technically superior to my 6800GT. Despite its lack of... features, quality, performance.

Its like MAC people that tell you that they feel sorry for people dumb enough to pay $3000 for a PC when for the same money, you can buy a supercomputer (what apple users call a G5).

It doesnt matter if its Sony's Cell, or the Xbox's 48 pipe ATI super GPU, there comes a point where the price : performance ratio becomes completely unbelievable. Its just a matter of which corners they have cut in taking technology that is out of this world, and bringing to a reasonable price.

At this point its too good to be true. A 48 pipe GPU that is comparable (and that is what both M$ and reviewers have been implying) to a PC GPU, that is capable of running AA at 1080i High definition, that costs next to nothing compared to a high end computer just isnt real.

We will see when the hardware hits the stores.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 15th May, 2005, 01:38 PM
Member/Contributer

Same for me, if I want to be floored by pixel shaded bump mapped doo da's I've got a 6800 here that makes the Xbox look like a relic. If I want a half decent fun game, that theres a good chance my friends can play then I have my PS2. Besides the PS2 isn't that far behind the XBOX ion terms of brute power, it just takes a lot more effort to program, there isn't a racing game on the xbox to rival GT4

As for the XBOX360, MS will be willing to loose a lot of money on each unit because they want to setup shop in every room of your home and every facet of your life.

And Rondog alas if I had body hair I would

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th May, 2005, 10:07 PM

ow bloody hell what have i started,

yeah im 20 (was 16 when i got a ps2) is it just me, but all this the xbox/ps2 will be the hub of you digital media blar blar blar, i dont want it to be a hub, i wana game console, with fun pick up and play games, the only reason its got all the other stuff built in is so they can justify it costing so much money, otherwise when it comes out and costs the 300 odd quid i espect it will cost, we would say, forget it, and go buy the best grapics card around, that would get better games.
o i duno, as long as this doesnt turn into a ps vs xbox thread i dont care lol
Old 15th May, 2005, 10:11 PM
AOA Staff

All you want is a game console. I can understand that. But, MS wants you to have a game console with built-in cash register. They want your money!
Old 15th May, 2005, 10:13 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio

We will see when the hardware hits the stores.

there will eb pre-released XBOX 360's to some of the perplex city players, 333, to be exact.

Retail pricing is looking to be around $799-$1000 US. You may think it's too much, but the reasoning i was given makes alot of sense. We will just have top wait and see what happens Nov. 17, or thereabouts.
Old 16th May, 2005, 02:50 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

What's the reasoning? At that price mark, it'll struggle to sell at all in Europe.
Old 16th May, 2005, 02:53 AM
Member/Contributer

If it's more than £200 they'll have a job shifting any serious quantitys, 6 thread capable processor or not.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th May, 2005, 07:59 AM

i dono, the xbox and the ps2 cost £350 when they first came out and plenty of people (i admit it me) bought them, theyl come down soon after though
Old 16th May, 2005, 09:28 AM
Steve Jobs

Ive just been reading some more articles about this thing, and the more I read, the more I feel sick about what microsoft is doing with this thing. Creating a machine that has magical performance and does everything short of flush the toilet for you is one thing, but telling microsoft about everything you are doing at the same time is going a bit far.

An always connected game console with proprietary software, that you are expected to put your family photos on among other things, that is networked to other computers in your house just bothers me.

So you upload your family photos to your Xbox 360, and some perv in seatle decides he would like a look at your children? Or what happens when your computers can be exposed to vulnerabilities through the always connected Xbox 360.

Worst case scenarios Ill admit, but possible by the same token.

Its connected to Xbox Live at all times, has software on it that is installed, updated and controlled by someone you cant control (microsoft), and is expected to be trusted with sensitive personal materials and information, and is connected to your networked computers.

They want people to plug DV handycams into it and edit their home movies for god sake. That scares me.

I hope the PS3 makes a mess of this thing, I really do. Sony at least, isnt trying to take over my damned life.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 16th May, 2005, 10:39 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless joe
i dono, the xbox and the ps2 cost £350 when they first came out and plenty of people (i admit it me) bought them, theyl come down soon after though
That's fine costing £350 when they first come out. However, if the price indicated is correct, it'll cost around £600 when it comes out. That's an awful lot more than £350 for someone's present.
Old 16th May, 2005, 11:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
And Rondog alas if I had body hair I would
I thought your avatar was an actual photo of you. I guess I was wrong.

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Old 16th May, 2005, 12:51 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

If those specs are what they will ship its going to ahead of the pc in terms of power, what i find hard to believe is the sudden jump in performance, how can ati go from 16pipe as used in there £300 graphics card to a 48 pipe monster in a console that wont cost much more than that.
Not to mention those cpu's they should fold nicely.
512meg is probably enough, bear in mind the original xbox has 64megs of ram and a geforce 3/4 class gpu (its better than a 3 but not as good as a 4)
since it doesnt have to contend with winbloat, nearly all of that ram will be used by the gpu so its effectively got a 400meg video card.
Since 512meg cards in the pc hardly show much over a 256 card i'd say its ample
Old 16th May, 2005, 12:57 PM
Steve Jobs

That is exactly what i was wondering earlier. I still think that despite the amazing specs, they have cut some corners to do that. The original Xbox never produced more than 30FPS, and often did less than that.

I could be wrong, but I have not heard yet, that this machine can do whatever it does at 100FPS with Vsync, like my 6800GT.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 16th May, 2005, 05:45 PM
AOA Staff

NBA2K6 on the 360.
Attached Thumbnails
More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nba2k6_001.jpg   More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nba2k6_002.jpg   More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nba2k6_003.jpg   More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nba2k6_004.jpg  
Old 16th May, 2005, 05:47 PM
AOA Staff

Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nsmw.jpg   More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nsmw_002.jpg   More Xbox 360 Photos Emerge-nsmw_003.jpg